Cɦǟքȶɛʀ 8

As soon as the check came through you felt a wave of emotions. You felt regretful, joyous, pained, and relief all at once. You felt regret for having Sean actually donate so much towards your grandmother. You were very happy about it, but that was still his money. Though he said he was willing to give for charity, you still felt like this was a cheating way to get past this obstacle. It had been two weeks since you found out your grandmother was sick. You couldn't wait to tell her that her medical bills would now be paid, and a wave of gratitude towards Sean washed over you.

"Hey, Grandpa, you'll never believe this," You said, walking into the dining area. He looked up from whatever advertisement he was interested in and gave you his attention. "Grandma's medical bills, I think we can pay them off easily now." For the past couple of weeks your grandparents had stopped buying all the extra things they'd normally buy, like a new set of earrings or junk food. You decided to participate alongside of them to help them stay motivated. 

"What, where did this come from?" You grandfather asked, seeing the check and snatching it away from you. You waited patiently for him to react. "Who is Sean McLoughlin?" Your grandfather asked you, scanning over the paper. "Damn.. that's enough money.." he whispered.

"Sean is my, uhm, famous comedian friend." You said, recalling the past argument with your grandfather. He raised his eyebrows.

"He sent this check? It's his money?" He asked "Does he expect us to pay it back?"

"I don't think so, he said something about him wanting to use it for charity, and I guess he considered this a worthy cause." You responded with. You looked towards your grandfather, who was now starting to show some emotion. He smiled, and you thought his face was almost turning red.

"So, this is from your online friend?" He repeated.

"Yeah, I told you, he's really nice." You said. You felt a sudden feeling of hope, but if your grandmother could get treated and cured, you wouldn't know how to repay Sean. Now that you got thinking of it, maybe paying him back would just be the defeat of a great act of generosity, but whatever the case is, you finally could stop worrying about the treatment costs, now all you had to worry about was your grandmother.

"I, I don't need it." You heard your grandmother say from the other room.

"What do you mean you don't need it?" You asked, slowly turning around to look at her. You hoped she was kidding, Sean willingly sent his money for this. 

"I mean that you should use it," She started. "Didn't you want to go to that video convention thing?" She asked "The one you have been trying to save up for?"

"Grandma, this is now your money, not mine. It would be selfish to use Sean's money to meet him anyways, it just wouldn't feel right, and you do need it." You said. A small selfish part of you wanted to take this opportunity and use the money for yourself, but you knew that using it for your grandmother was much more important.

"I just know how important that convention is for you-" Your grandmother started.

"Yeah, but if it is to save your life you should know damn well that I pick you over a convention that happens more than once a year!" You said, battling with the small feeling of greed inside of you. You needed your grandmother, and you weren't going to let her stop you from giving her Sean's money. Her money.

"Fine," She replied, sighing. "But only if you take just enough to go to the convention, I guess you'll have to supply yourself with travel still then." You still felt like arguing, and you were about to come back with some other 'smart' response when your grandmother cut you off again. "I'll be fine. We'll use whatever is left, and we could also still save money up by only buying the necessary. Please, as a favor to me, go. Meat this Sean, he obviously seems very important to you." You felt your face heat up as she said the last part.