Chapter Two

***So I decided to bring Shade back to life because I love him and it broke my heart when he died.***

•Cal POV•
     I slam my fist on the table in front of me and yell, "Mare has been in Maven's hands for two weeks! Who knows what he has done to her! I will not stand around and wait any longer!"
     "I agree with Cal. We can't just leave her there," Shade says calmly.
     Farley shakes her head and argues, "It's too risky. If you want to go, then be my guest. I will not sacrifice anyone else for her sake."
     "Would you try to save me if I was the one locked up?" Shade asks her.
     She opens her mouth to answer but quickly shuts it and looks away.
     "Exactly," he says.
     I sit on the edge of the table and stare at the map of the palace. I know it by heart. It used to be my home not so long ago.
     "I'm going to guess that Maven is keeping her locked up in the prison under the palace. It's the most secure place to keep her with the most powerful Silent Stone," I tell them and point to it on the map.
"Ok, so is there like a secret entrance that we can use to get into the prisons?" Kilorn asks.
"Yes, but Maven isn't stupid. He'll have them guarded. We can't go in disguise either. We've already done that and he will be expecting that again," I explain.
"Then how are we supposed to get in?" Farley asks.
I throw my hand up in frustration and say, "I don't know. I've been trying to figure that out for two weeks."
"So, that's it then?" Bree asks.
"No. Just give me some more time," I say and run my hands through my hair.
"She could already be dead," Kilorn protests. "We may be wasting our time."
"We don't know she's dead. I'm not going to stop until I get her back. Alive," I say sternly.
I stomp out of the room like and child go back to the new room I was given on Tuck. It's better than the cell I had the first time I was here. I can't help but think that if Mare was here we would be sharing a room like we did back at Notch. I would hold her in my arms and not let go.
I don't even want to think about what Maven is doing to her. It pains me to think about it. My heart aches for her. I don't know if it's love. Honestly, I'm afraid to love her. Everyone else I have ever loved has either died or betrayed me.
Shade suddenly walks into my room and startles me out of my thoughts.
"So, I've been thinking," he starts.
"Have you?" I ask and gesture for him to sit.
He nods and says, "I may not particularly like you, but I know we need to work together to save my sister."
"I agree, but what is your point?" I ask.
He shrugs and answers, "I need your help. I hate to admit it, but I'm still injured and in no shape to go in there alone."
"Well, I'm of no help," I admit.
"Why? You know the palace better than anyone. And you know your brother better than anyone. You could change his mind. Maybe even convince him to let her go," he insists.
I shake my head and I reply, "I cannot change his mind. No one can."
Maven has changed. He is not the same person I used to know. He is no longer my brother.