Chapter Twenty-Eight

•Cal POV•
     Mare is playing her part well. Only two people know I am alive and the rest of the world believes me to be dead. Her new role is to play the sad, helpless bride of Carac. I stay in her room all day every day, waiting for her to come back. It is extremely boring, but at least I'm alive.
     "I hate this," Mare says and flops onto the bed.
     "I know," I say and kiss her forehead, "but at least we're both unhurt and alive."
     She sighs and asks, "How long have we been here?"
     I count it up in my head and respond, "A month or so."
     She sits up and looks at me. "How much longer, Cal? We can't stay here forever. And we haven't heard anything from the Scarlet Guard. For all we know, my family could be dead."
     "They're not," I reassure her.
     "How can you be sure?" she asks and shakes her head.
     "I can't, but I just have a feeling. Don't you?" I take her hand and hold her in my arms.
     She stays silent for a while. "What are we going to do? Will we ever get married and have children? Or will we hide forever in fear."
     "Darling, I don't know. But I do know that I will protect you and we will win this war. And after this is over, we can just disappear."
     "I would like that very much," she murmurs.
     "So would I," I respond and lay my head back against the pillow.
     She places her head on my chest and I tighten my arms around her. It will all be ok. It has to be.

<><><><><><>

Hey guys! So this may be the last time I can update for a while. I'm leaving Monday for Destination Imagination Global Finals. Let me know if any of you happen to be going and we can meet up. As soon as I get back from there I'm going to New York and Canada for a week. So I'll try my best to update but no promises.