Chapter 10

•Mare POV•
     After the broadcast, I go straight to my room and do not speak to anyone. I just told the world that I was in love with Maven and I was to be his wife. The words I said felt like poison. I betrayed everything I have fought to protect myself from. I'm afraid now that Cal will leave me with Maven. He can't. I won't stay here in his cage forever.
     I flop down on the bed and rest my head on the pillow. I let out an aggravated sigh and close my eyes.
     My freedom from the Silent Stone didn't last long. As soon as I was free, another chain was put on me. Maven gave me a necklace made out of Silent Stone so I cannot use my powers. To the public, it looks normal. But I know what it is. I can't take it off without a key, and it's too strong to break. Yet again, I am trapped.
     "Darling," Maven says from the door.
     "What?" I groan.
     He laughs and asks, "Did I wake you?"
     "No, but goodnight," I say and roll over. Hopefully he gets the hint and leaves.
     "Let me stay with you tonight," he says gently.
     My heart starts to pound, but not out of excitement. Maven scared me, and I don't want him with me while I sleep.
     "Of course," I force out.
     He walks over to me and pulls back the sheets. He lays down beside me and pulls me close. My back is against his chest and I can feel every pulse of his heart.
     "You're tense," he murmurs. "Relax, Mare. You're safe. I won't let anyone hurt you here."
     I relax, but I do not believe his lie. He's the one that will hurt me. Maven can and will kill me. All his love for me will disappear when I betray him.

•Maven POV•
     Mare is sleeping soundly against my chest. My arms are wrapped around her and I don't want to let her go. She is mine and no one will take her from me.
     I kiss her hair and she rolls over to face me. She rests her head on my chest and I smile to myself. I never thought I would get to hold her again. I did so many awful things to her and I don't know how she stands me. But she does. She loves me.
     Mare is my queen. My love. My everything. If anyone stands between us I will turn them into ashes. Together, we burn brighter than the sun.

<><><><><><>

Sorry this is such a bad chapter. I just took the ACT today and I went totally brain dead after it😂
Anyways, King's Cage made me cry. I can't believe we have to wait again for another book. Tell me your thoughts on King's Cage in the comments!
Xx Hanna