Chapter Twenty-Six

•Mare POV•
     I don't know what to feel anymore. There's a huge hole in my heart now. The pain is unbearable and I've cried so much it hurts. I screamed Cal's name so many times that my throat is raw.
     Everything that happened after Cal died is blurry. I remember Carac picking me up and telling his guards to bring Cal's body with us. Outside of that dreadful room were the members of the Scarlet Guard. Many were dead and the other were on their knees with their hands up. I saw the faces of my brothers and Kilorn as we passed by. I was too defeated to even call out to them. They fought to get to me, but failed. I didn't even try to escape. It wasn't worth it anymore.
     I recall Carac saying things and trying to comfort me, but I ignored him. I don't know how we got to the Lakelands, but I just know it is freezing here. Carac placed me on a large, soft bed and sat next to me. He stroked my hair as I cried silently.
     "Leave us," he said to the swarm of people in the room.
     "But your highness, she needs to be locked up. Her power must be contained," a man argues.
     He puts a hand on my back and says, "I told you to leave. You will not touch my future bride. I suggest you get out before you end up dead."
     I hear the click of a door closing and Carac sits me up on the bed. He wipes away my tears and holds me close. I try to push him away, but he resists.
    "Mare, listen. Cal isn't dead. I just told my father that he was," he tells me.
     My eyes widen, by I don't quite believe him. "How can I trust you?"
     "See for yourself," he says.
     Cal walks in the room, uninjured and perfectly alive. I run to him and he runs to me.
     "Cal! I thought you were dead! I was so worried!" I exclaim.
    He sweeps me in his arms and kisses me firmly. He doesn't pull away until we are gasping for breath. The look in his eyes tells me that he didn't think we would ever see each other again and is as shocked as I am.
     "Mare, are you hurt?" he asks and looks me over. "My god I was so scared. I didn't know what was going to happen."
     "I-I thought I lost you," I stammer with tears of joy streaking down my face.
     He kisses them away and says, "Do not cry, my love. Everything will be alright. I'm safe and so are you."
     "But we're in the enemy's home," I say, forgetting about Carac.
     He smiles at me and says, "I think we have a new ally."
     "You do," Carac says and nods. "I knew my father would never let you live, so I lied about your death. I am not your enemy. I hate my father and want him off the throne. He is a tyrant and should be dead."
     "We can help you with that," Cal promises. "If you help us, we will help you. But for now, we will remain in the Lakelands and pretend that I am still dead."
    "I will make some calls and figure some things out. Mare, be very careful," Carac says. "I will leave you two alone."
     He leaves the room and I turn back to Cal. The empty whole in my heart is now full. My love is back, and I won't ever let anything happen to him again.