Chaper Thirty

•Mare POV•
     Six o'clock came early this morning. I roll out of bed with a groan and Cal stayed there laughing. Stupid Prince Carac. I grumble about Carac the whole time I'm getting ready. Cal's laughing his ass off because I'm "hilarious when I'm pissy." I'm not a morning person.
     I wander around the castle until I find Carac's training room. It's massive with every weapon you could dream of. Thankfully we aren't doing any physical training. He's standing in the middle of the room looking smug.
     "You're late," he says, tapping his foot on the ground.
     "You should be glad I even came at all," I fire back.
     "Someone's in a good mood this morning," he comments. He takes out a knife and starts twirling it around. 
     "I thought we weren't doing that kind of training," I point out.
     "Oh we aren't. But we could go for a round of physical training if you want. I've heard you're pretty good at it," he adds with a wink.
     "Pig," I scoff.
     He laughs at my reaction. I roll my eyes at his idiocy. Prince's are so arrogant.
     "First things first, lightning girl. What's the extent of your power?" He asks.
     "Honestly, I don't know. I may be able to do more than what I think."
     He walks up to me and stops. "Place you hand over my heart."
     "What?" I ask, confused.
     He sighs. "Just do it."
     I do it, but not without a few words of protest. His heart is beating fast under my hand.
     "Reach out with your powers. See if you can feel my heart. See if you can control it."
     I close my eyes and let go. Electricity flows through my fingers, but does not harm him. And then, I feel it. I have control of his heart and slow it down. He smiles down at me.
     "With this power, you can pull all of the energy out of someone and stop their heart, or overload their system and cause them to have a heart attack," he tells me.
     "Damn," I say, impressed.
     "With practice, you will be able to do this without having to touch the person."
     "That's amazing," I breath. 
     "You're telling me," he responds and takes my hand off his chest. "We'll practice more on this later. Now, I want to see if you can manipulate objects."
      He hands me a knife and steps back. "What do you want me to do with it?" I ask.
      "See if you can make it explode," he says with a grin.
      "I don't know if I can do that," I say with hesitation.
      "Yes you can. It's just like what you did with me."
       I close my eyes again and concentrate. This one is harder. There's not much energy moving in the atoms of it. I try again and finally take control. I transfer tons of energy into it. The knife shudders and lightning flows through it. In a matter of seconds, it explodes and pieces fly everywhere.
     "Good job, Mare. You're learning a lot faster than I ever imagined you would. You'll master this in a matter of days, I'm sure," he says. "Let's continue."
      For hours, I do the same things over and over again. Each time, I get better. I have complete control by the time we're done training. After we're done, I'm utterly exhausted, but it was all worth it. It's just another weapon for me to use against Maven.