Chapter Twenty-Three

***Disclaimer: This chapter will have a very "intimate" love scene (if you know what I mean😏😏😏)***

•Mare POV•
I stomped out of the room and ignored Cal calling after me. I can't believe he won't let me do this. Who is he to tell me what I can't and can't do? The lights flicker in the hall and I calm myself down before I make a scene.
I huff an exasperated sigh and roll my eyes. Cal gets under my skin sometimes. I love him to death, don't get me wrong, but he's so overprotective. I don't need a babysitter. I can handle myself just fine.
Suddenly, I run smack into someone and look up to see Carac grinning down at me.
"Just can't keep away from me, can you?" he asks.
"Shut up, you arrogant ass," I reply and shove past him.
He grabs me around the waist and says, "Not so fast. I don't intend to let a beautiful girl like you run away from me like that."
"Let. Go. Of. Me. You disgust me," I sneer.
He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear and says, "I can change your mind."
"Go ahead and try. I'll fry your brain," I say.
He smirks and says sarcastically, "Yes, because you can totally kill a man with the power to raise the dead."
"What an unfortunate power to have. I'm sure your parents were disappointed when they threw you off a cliff and you didn't die. It's a wonder your arrogance hasn't killed you," I say coldly.
"You're in a bad mood today," he states. "Maybe I can fix that."
I give him a vulgar gesture and move away from him. He grabs my arms and pins me against the wall.
"You're intoxicating," he whispers in my ear. "You have no idea what I want to do to you."
He leans in and tries to kiss me, but a fist connects with the side of his face. He stumbles off me and Cal punches him in the gut. Where was he five minutes ago?
"If you ever tough her again, I swear I'll burn you alive," Cal seethes.
His hands are engulfed in flames and I am frozen in fear. Maven. That's all I can think about as I look into his eyes. The hatred in them is the same as his brother's. Memories of my imprisonment flood my thoughts and forget what's happening right in front of me.
"Mare," I hear Cal say. It's very distant and muffled. "Mare," he says again. I finally come back to reality and feel his strong arms around me.
"Let go of me," I cry and push him away.
He's taken aback and I feel guilty. "I'm sorry, Cal. I just-"
"I understand," he sighs. "I reminded you of him."
"Where did Carac go?" I ask, changing he subject.
"No idea. But he better be far away from here," Cal says.
He reaches out to place a hand on my cheek, but draws back. He's afraid of touching me. He doesn't want me to think of him as Maven. My heart swells and take a deep breath.
"You're not him," I say. "I'm sorry. I-I compared you to him and I got scared. I love you, Cal."
"I know," he whispers and hold me close.
"I need you," I say. "I want you."
He gives me a confused look and opens his mouth to speak but I stop him. "I don't want to wait anymore. I'm yours, and you are mine. We are one, and it's time we become that. Show me how much you love me."
He gives me a devilish grin and scoops me into his arms. "You don't have to tell me twice." He opens the door to our room and closes it behind us.
The second the door closes, we're on top of each other. He kisses me like he never has before. There is such passion passes between us and electricity trembles beneath my skin. His hands are tangled in my hair and my hands are fisted in his shirt. I pull it off him and raise an eyebrow at his sculpted chest.
"Like what you see?" he asks in a husky voice.
"Very much so," I reply.
My top comes off next and Cal is kissing every inch of me. I throw my head back and sigh with pleasure. He picks me up and places me gently on the bed.
"You won't be needing these," he says and slides my pants off.
"I suppose not. I don't think you need yours either," I say with a smirk.
"Fair enough," he replies and takes them off.
His lips crash into mine and it is skin against skin. His touch sparks a new feeling as he runs his hands along my bare skin. I moan in delight and he grins. He slides into me and I gasp. All of this is so new to me. To feel and make love like this does not compare to anything else. We become one and we move together. Fire and lightning mix and create the most powerful weapon: love.
When we finally finish, night has fallen. He holds me in his arms and I close my eyes. I've never felt safer or more loved. I fall asleep wrapped in his arms, forgetting everything outside of this room.

<><><><><><>

Hey guys! So I don't usually write chapters like this, but I decided it was time for a Marecal love scene. Tell me what you think in the comments!