Chapter Twenty-One

•Maven POV•
"I think it's about time our countries have come to an agreement," I say to King Orrec Cygnet of the Lakelands.
He stares at me forcefully with his gray eyes as he considers my proposal. "Why the sudden need for an alliance?" he asks.
"Norta is being threatened by rebels and I need a strong ally to defeat them. I know you are also faced with these problems. From one king to another, I beg for help," I say and swallow my pride.
"So what your saying is that you are a weak king that can't control his people?" he asks with a cruel grin.
I shake my head and say, "My foolish father could not control our people and left the problem to me when he died. He never reached out to you for an alliance, but here I am."
"I must admit, you are brave to come to me. I request an engagement to one of my sons to strengthen and prove our alliance," he says.
"Uh, I'm honored, your majesty, but I'll have to decline the engagement," I say uncomfortably.
He rolls his eyes and replies, "Not an engagement to you, you idiotic boy. My eldest son is the most powerful Silver to ever live and I want him to marry the strongest female of your country."
"Well, we have plenty of options. I believe Evangeline Samos is a nice fit-" I say but am interrupted.
"I already have decided who I want him to marry. I want the lightning girl," he says.
I try to contain my shock. "Mare Barrow is a Red and a criminal. She betrayed me and has a stone heart," I protest.
"Maybe so," he says, "but she is powerful. Also, it will show the rebels that they cannot win. When you cut the head off the snake, the rest die. We need her to be able to defeat the Scarlet Guard."
     "She will betray you," I warn.
     He leans back in his chair and says, "You loved her."
     I look away and respond, "What I felt for her is none of you concern. She tricked me."
     "You are leading with you heart, Maven Calore. Be very careful," he tells me.
"It will not be so easy to take her. A certain person stands in our way," I say, changing the subject.
"You mean your brother?" he asks.
"He is not my brother," I say darkly.
He nods his head and says, "I see. But do not worry about the girl. I have her in my grasps."
     "How?" I demand.
     "I have my ways. You will see soon enough," he says. "This meeting is over."
      He walks out of the room and out of my palace. How he has Mare, I don't know. It is a dangerous game I'm playing, but I will win.