Chapter Five

•Mare POV•
Maven drags me all the way to my cell. He throws me in and kneels down beside me. He grabs my hair in his hands and yanks my face towards his.
     "I warned you, Mare. You crossed me and I will make your life hell," he says darkly.
     "It already is hell," I reply.
     "Oh, it's about to get much worse," he tells me.
      He releases me and stands up to leave. I shake my head and silently curse myself. I know what I have to do to stop this.
      "Maven, please. Don't do this," I beg.
      He doesn't turn around but asks, "And why should I care what happens to you."
     "Because I love you," I blurt out impulsively.
     He finally turns around with a shocked look on his face. He quickly changes it back to a cold look but I saw something there. I saw hope.
     "I know you love me too," I continue. "Deep down, I know you do."
     "Don't lie to yourself," he says quietly.
     "Maven, listen. I. Love. You. I fell in love with you before all of this happened," I say and gesture to the cell. "This person that you have become isn't you. I know the real Maven, and I fell in love with him."
      He kneels down beside me again and looks into my eyes. His eyes are no longer cold, but kind. He takes my face in his hands leans towards me. He almost kisses me, but stops short. Maven stands up suddenly and walks out of the cell, the bars closing behind him.
     "Don't touch her," Maven commands the guards. "I don't want her hurt."
     He looks back at me once more and leaves the prison. I sigh and am thankful that I changed Maven's mind. It may not last long, but it was enough.
     For some reason, I feel empty inside when left leaves. I saw a small piece of the Maven I used to know. Did I truly love him all those months ago? Could I open my heart to him again? No, I don't think so. Maven has gone so far down a dark path that I don't think he'll ever come back. He'll never be mine. I only have Cal left.

•Maven POV•
     I quickly walk away from Mare, my face flushed white. I let her see how easily she can change me. She is my weakness, but she can never know.
     I don't know if I ever loved her. Part of me wants to believe I did. Part of me still wants to loved her. I feel different when I'm around her. It breaks my heart to do those awful things to her. I don't want to hurt her, but I cannot let the Silver Elite think I am weak.
     "Maven," Evangeline whines, interrupting my thoughts.
     "What do you want?" I sigh as she walks up to me.
      She puts her hand on my shoulder and I roll  my eyes at her. I can't stand Evangeline. She's so dramatic and her voice is annoying.
"Why were you down there so long with her?" she asks.
Evangeline hates Mare and can't stand it when I'm with her. She goes to see Mare sometimes and is cruel to her. I didn't mind at first, but now I don't want her to do those things. Something inside me changed when Mare told me that she loved me.
"It's not any of your business," I tell her and start to walk away.
She grabs my hand and says, "I hope you're not starting to care for her."
"Mare means nothing to me. She's a threat to us and I locked her away," I say simply.
      "Good, because I think I'm going to go have a little talk with her," she says wickedly.
     I grab her arm and say, "Don't you dare. You are not to go near her."
     She laughs and says, "I knew you still loved her. You aren't the person I thought you were, Maven Calore."
     She walks away and I shake my head. What is wrong with me. I hate to admit it, but Evangeline is right. I'm not the person my mother shaped me to be. I am Maven Calore and I am the King of Norta. Mare Barrow is a nobody and means nothing to me.

<><><><><><>

Hey y'all! Team Cal or Team Maven? I love them both but I'm Team Cal. Which one is your fav?