Chapter Thirty-Two

•Maven POV•
"All the Lakeland alliance has done is stop the war. Besides that, they're useless," Volo Samos comments.
     "I didn't ask for your opinion," I snap, narrowing my eyes. "They are not useless. They have put Mare on a leash and killed Cal. Therefore, it has been very beneficial."
     He doesn't look pleased but holds his tongue. "Perhaps we should speak about your engagement to Evangeline."
     I huff out a sigh. Evangeline is a nightmare. I would rather dig my eyes out than marry her.
      "We are not engaged," I inform him.
      "That's my point. You need to marry to secure your throne and my daughter is the perfect woman."
      I straighten my sleeves and stand. "That's highly debatable. Evangeline is the last person I want to marry."
       "You dare insult my daughter? Let me remind you that it isn't hard to eliminate you," he threatens.
      My hand heats up and burst into flames. "It isn't hard to eliminate you either. One more word and I'll turn you into a pile of ashes."
      He clenches his fists and tightens his jaw. His mouth opens to protest and the ball of fire in my hand grows. He suddenly changes his mind and backs out of them room. The fire is extinguished in seconds as soon as he leaves.
     Why I let him live, I don't know? He's a thorn in my side that needs to be eliminated. And honestly, I'm having second thoughts on this whole king thing. I wish my mother would have never convinced me to kill my father and take the throne. It was a mistake. Betraying Cal. Betraying Mare. Everything. I've lost everything because my mother brainwashed me. If only there was a way to fix things.

<><><><><><>

Hey guys!! So sorry I haven't been able to update recently. I'm currently working two jobs and don't have much time to update but I will as soon as I can.