Sweet Dreams

You were awoken by yet another nightmare that night and decided that going back to bed just wasn't going to happen. You had already retreated to Monty's room, in a mess of tears after seeing your father's corpse rise from the dead and haunt you, whispering malevolently behind you in your first nightmare. Your second was worse, with him telling you that terrible things were coming soon, and when you turned around, you were face to face with a cut up, bleeding version of what was left of your father. That alone made you scream, and you woke Monty up for the second time. The third time, you were stuck in a loop. You watched everyone you ever cared about die. By the time it was Dipper's head on the chopping block, you had woken yourself up from crying.

Monty tried his best to calm you down each time you had a nightmare. He hugged you and told you softly that it was just a dream, that you didn't have to worry because every one was safe, but you were still shaken.

The fourth nightmare, you refused to wake Monty up. It was only 3:00 am, and you'd already woken him up three times. He needed rest as much as you did. However, you didn't plan on sleeping.

You climbed out of his bed, heading to your room and grabbing your comforter. You wrapped it around you before heading downstairs. You plopped on the couch and turned on some cartoons, half watching them and half dozing off.

Desperate not to fall asleep, you sat up straighter. To occupy yourself you played with the (f/c) flames you could produce, sending embers up towards the ceiling. You watched them dance up towards the sky before fizzling away into nothing. They were beautiful.

You stared into the flames, satisfied with the way they looked. They didn't burn you, nor did they make the air smell like smoke. They were silent, moving to a song you couldn't hear.

"What're you doing up?"

You nearly jumped out of your skin, and the flames immediately disappeared. You looked behind you to see Bill eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch right out of the box.

"I couldn't sleep." You said, turning back around and playing with fire once more.

Bill sat down next to you, holding out the box of cereal in case you wanted any. You shook your head, not meeting his eyes.

"Gee, Princess, you've been waking up a lot recently, haven't you?" He asked curiously.

"What do you mean?"

"I hear you screaming. And crying. It's every night now. Sometimes I hear you go to Monty's room."

You were silent for a moment. "I don't mean to wake you."

"I don't sleep much myself, anyway. I'm too busy."

You chuckled. "Busy doing what?"

"Anyway, what's waking you up?"

"Nightmares." You answered.

Bill grunted. "Are you kidding me?"

You knitted your eyebrows together. "What?"

He blinked a few times. "Nothing. What are you dreaming about? Your mom? Dad? Downfall of society?"

"All of those things." You said skeptically.

"Oh." Bill chuckled. "Weird."

"How did you know?"

"Lucky guess." He shrugged. "We usually dream about the same stuff. I mean, dream demons. Typically pain and suffering to things we care about."

"Ah, so you don't have nightmares, then." You joked. "Since pain's hilarious and you don't care about anything."

"I have nightmares." Bill responded quietly. "Not often, though."

You regarded him in interest for a few moments before you shook your head. "Nightmares are the worst. I'm tired of seeing people I care about die. And I swear, if I see my dad in pain one more time, I'll dive off the deep end."

"What about your mom?"

You hesitated a moment. "See, that's the weird thing. I don't see her. I hear her. I just know it's her."

"What's she saying?" He asked.

"I dunno. Not to worry. That she's protecting me." You shrugged. "Stuff like that."

Bill was quiet for a few moments. "That's not too scary."

"No." You said through a yawn. "It's comforting, actually."

"You should sleep, Princess." Bill said.

"No. I can't have another nightmare tonight. I just need a good cup of coffee and I'm good to go."

"Or maybe a few more hours of sleep." He mumbled. "Think about it. Are you gonna have the opportunity to sleep in your med school?"

You contemplated it. "You know. That's the first normal thing I've heard you say, I think."

"Right! So take my advice, kid! Take a nap. You need it! And, if you have any nightmares, when you'll wake up, I'll be here~" He smiled. "I can take your mind off of it."

You crinkled your nose and opened your mouth to speak, but he beat you to it.

"That isn't what I meant." He said.

You smiled, pulling your blanket closer around you. You weren't entirely sure if it was Bill's presence that made it feel safe enough to sleep, or if it was because you were so completely exhausted. "I mean, I guess not sleeping is bad for my health, no matter what the circumstance."

"See? Now you're getting it."

You sighed, trying to hide a smile you didn't quite understand. What was it exactly that was making you smile?

Bill put his arm around your shoulder and pulled you towards his side. If you had more energy, you definitely would've protested, but you weren't up for it. Besides, for some reason, he was very comfortable to use as a pillow. And, you felt that same feeling as a couple days ago when you woke with his arms wrapped around you. A certain fondness you couldn't really explain.

You just wanted to make it clear you didn't have any sort of romantic feelings towards the once-demon, Bill Cipher, and that the only reason why you were so comfortable in his embrace was probably because it was a sense of warmth. A sense of warmth and comfort you needed in order to ease your nerves. And—for the record—your nerves were not eased just because it was Bill Cipher.

'No,' You told yourself. 'It's just because he's comfortable.'

Bill smiled as you adjusted yourself more comfortably into his side. You felt him kiss the top of your head, which made your face heat up.

But not because you had any sort of romantic feeling for him, thank you very much.

"Goodnight, Princess. Sweet Dreams."

You closed your eyes. "Goodnight."

And when you drifted off to sleep, you found your dreams devoid of all nightmares, as if Bill had chased them all away.