14. Marrying Russell

Hi guys, huge apologies for the delay. I'm back at work now and it's really full on. But here is chapter 13 for you and I'm halfway through chapter 14 so I hope to have that posted this weekend to make up for my absence. :) Enjoy and please remember to vote and comment so I know what you think.

***

The horn sounds outside my window for the second time. I stare at my reflection in the mirror and swallow the lump that has formed in my throat. I’ve managed not to vomit anymore but it seems to be always on the verge. Every time I think of the event this afternoon, the chunks start to move.

The only thing that’s helped is not thinking of what it actually is. Calling it an event makes me believe it’s just that…an event.

I’ve put on my disguise and once again I’m floored by how different I look. Even my own mother wouldn’t recognise me. This is a good thing of course because you never know what might happen. I could bump into her one day while I’m dressed as a different person. I don’t want her knowing who I am.

I’m also wearing a simple blue A-line, strappy dress. There’s no way I’m buying a two thousand dollar dress for a registry office event. And to be honest, I can’t imagine Russell would expect me to put in that much expense when I’m doing him a favour. Okay he’s doing me a favour too but he doesn’t need to know that.

When I’m as ready as I can be I grab my things, including my fake ID, and walk out. A short Chinese man is standing by the back passenger door waiting for me. When he sees me he gives a little bow and opens the door. I smile at him and slide in. He closes the door after me then waddles around to the drivers’ side.

As he’s reversing out of my drive he asks in his thick accent, “You go somewhere?”

No I feel like a pleasure cruise with you.

“Yes, the registry office on Sutton Road,” I say instead.

In the rear view mirror I see the man’s face light up like a beacon. While he’s still reversing he takes his hands off the wheel and claps them in childlike glee while bouncing up and down in his set.

“Pretty lady get married!”

“Uh…do you mind…?” I trail off and point to the steering wheel.

I don’t think he notices me, he’s too busy chattering away in Chinese to pay attention. I twist to look out the window and see the car getting closer and closer to the fence.

“Um…excuse me?” I try again. “Uh…the fence is—”

The man turns to look at me, his eyes wide with excitement. He’s seemingly totally oblivious to the fact that he’s still reversing out of the drive.

“Lucky man! Lucky man marry pretty lady!”

“Uh, sir but…”

His eyes widen in surprise as he finally sees the fence now only a few feet away from the back of the car. He turns back, grabs the wheel and straightens the car again. He grins at me through the mirror and says, “I very excited for you.”

No kidding?

I release a sigh and grab the seat out of instinct. Something tells me this is going to be a very interesting journey.

The drive is as bad as I imagined. The constant chattering doesn’t bother me, I don’t understand him anyway. What bothers me is the way he takes the corners like he’s in a high speed chase. A couple of times I even look behind me to ensure there are no police cars closing in on us. Then again he’s driving so fast he’ll probably outrun them. Even with a seatbelt on and gripping the seat tightly, I still sway from side to side at each corner he takes.