19. Closure

Hi guys,

Here's the latest chapter! As always, thanks for your patience. I have dedicated this chapter to @Blondeanddangerous who suggested a great change to the story. If you want to see this change, go back and read chapter 2. It doesn't affect how the rest of the story flows, but it's just a little more detail to hopefully hook the reader. It's the beginning that's changed. Happy reading!

****

I get in my car and turn the ignition. Before I leave, I’m about to send a text to Mum to say I won’t be there but when I see her reply to my previous text I change my  mind. She’s so excited to see me again, I can’t back out now.

In the end I text to say I’m going to be late and to save me a plate. There’s something I really need to do first. I put the car into reverse and back out of the drive. As I drive toward my destination, fear grips hold of me. I don’t want to do this but I know I have to. I can’t pine after Marcus anymore. It’s time we had a heart to heart.

It’s Friday night and I know exactly where he’ll be. Even when we were dating, every Friday after work he would go to his favourite pub in the heart of the city. It’s hidden away in a dead-end street so while cars can park in front of it, there’s not a constant flow of traffic coming and going.

Of course things change but I’m certain this is one thing that won’t. Marcus always loved this place so I can’t imagine being married and an almost-father would change anything. We all need our nights out, right?

When I finally arrive I sit outside the establishment for a few moments as I gather my bearings. I feel sick to the stomach at the thought of what I have to do. Confrontation has never been my forte. I’m an honest person, I’ll tell people what I think but that’s only when we’re already having a conversation. Going up to someone randomly and saying ‘you hurt me now let’s talk’ scares the hell out of me.

Sadly it has to be done if I ever want to lead a normal life and if I ever want to marry ‘the one’.

Taking a deep breath, I unbuckle my seatbelt and step out of the car. Slamming the door shut behind me, I stride toward the pub before I can back out. The sooner I do this the sooner it’ll be over.

As I walk inside, I’m greeted with the all too familiar smell of beer and log fires. It’s a replica of an old style English pub with a fireplace on the far wall, wood floors and low wooden beams. I love it. I didn’t come here often but there were a few times I’d meet Marcus here. Usually it was him out with his mates. Looking over toward the fireplace I see him sitting in his usual place with a guy I didn’t recognise.

As I watch them laugh, I suddenly freeze to the spot.

I can’t do this.

Feeling like a failure but not caring, I turn and head for the door. My face is flushed and I feel like a downright idiot. What made me think this was a good idea? Yes I have to come to terms with this but this isn’t the right way.

Shaking my head, I reach for the door but the moment I hear my name called, it falls back to my side again. I go numb and like usual, my heart pounds rapidly against my chest. I hate that he has such a hold over me. And while I’m slightly annoyed he ruined my grand escape, I’m glad really because this needs to happen.

Slowly I turn and face him. He’s looking as handsome as ever dressed in his blue jeans, black button-up shirt and his hair slicked back. His usual pale cheeks are slightly flushed from sitting near the fire and he looks…happy.

“What are you doing here?” Marcus asks with a smile. “I didn’t realise you came here anymore.”

“I…I don’t,” I stammer like an idiot. “I mean, not often. Well…I, uh…I mean I actually, uh…”