15. An unexpected guest

Hi guys, sorry again for the delay. Work is sooo busy at the moment. Combine that with extreme heat and it's been hard finding time to write. However, here is a new chapter. Enjoy and please remember to vote and comment.

***

When I finally come to, I’m lying on the floor of the registry office with a sea of faces above me. Most are faces of amusement, Russell is the only one who has any decency to look concerned. I blink a couple of times and try to sit up. Russell reaches out and takes my arm, assisting me to a sitting position.

I smile at him. “Thanks.” Looking around at anyone I offer a sheepish smile. “Sorry about that, I’m not sure what came over me.”

The crowd murmurs and parts. Russell sits on the floor next to me and takes my hand. “It’s okay. Are you alright?”

I nod in response but before I can say anything a bottle of water miraculously appears in front of me and I take it gratefully. Twisting the lid off, I take a mouthful, the cold water soothing my dry mouth. I swallow then take another mouthful, this time looking up at the person who handed it to me. When I notice who it is, I end up spitting the water out everywhere from surprise.

“Jamie?” I ask.

He gives me a cold smile and the look in his eye tells me he’s not impressed with what I’m doing. Indignation rises inside of me. What nerve! He has no right to look at me like that. I’m not the only one doing something illegal.

“You two know each other?” Russell asks looking from Jamie to me.

“Hello Julia,” Jamie greets giving me a pointed look. From the corner of my eye I see the way Russell’s brow creases in confusion when Jamie emphasises my name. “And yes,” Jamie continues, “Julia and I know each other well.”

Jumping up, I grab Jamie by the wrist and drag him away. “I’ll be right back, Russell.”

Before he can say anything I dash out the main door with Jamie in tow and duck to the back of the building. I can sense many inquisitive eyes on us but I ignore them. I have other important matters to attend to.

“What are you doing here?” I hiss, letting go of Jamie’s wrist.

He rubs his wrist and scowls. “You didn’t have to hurt me.”

“Do you think I care? Now answer me.”

A smirk appears on his face and I have a sudden urge to slap him. For all his good looks and charm he is the most irritating man I know.

“Can’t I attend my own cousin’s wedding?”

I feel my mouth drop open. “You’re cousin?”

How is this possible? They look nothing alike. Russell has dark hair, Jamie has blonde hair. Plus there’s like a 10 year age. Then again, cousins don’t always look alike, do they? Oh god, no this can’t be happening.

“Julia?” Russell appears behind the building. “Oh there you are. Is everything okay? What’s going on?”

“Hey cuz,” Jamie greeted with a smug grin, slapping Russell on the back. “I like your girl, a good choice for a wife.”

Cuz? He’s serious?

Russell looks me up and down and grins. “She’s a life saver. The girl mother picked out for me got cold feet. I just happened to bump into Julia last night at a bar and she agreed to help me out.”

“Last night you say?” Jamie asks looking at me with raised eyebrows.

“Yes. Anyway,” he looks from Jamie to me again, “how do you know each other?”