{16} : "You Always Were So Mysterious To Me."

Rachael's POV

"Ashton, were your parents secret agents too?" I asked.

"Yes, they were. But the saddest part was that they too were murdered, just like your parents, when they were on some assignment," he answered.

I could clearly see that he was in pain after telling me that his parents were murdered. I was too in pain. Just today, I came to know that my parents were secret agents and that they were murdered.

"When did that happen?" I asked. I know I should stop asking him questions relating to the past but I want to know.

"When I was ten years old," he answered without looking at me. His parents were murdered three years before my parents.

"When did you come to know that your parents were secret agents?"

"Rachael, I always knew."

"Didn't your parents tried to hide that information from you?" Just like my parents did.

"No. I guess they always wanted me to know," he said. I just nodded my head, even though he wasn't looking.

"So, you also joined Special Squad along with Michael?"

"Yes."

"Are you alright?" I asked, looking at him. He was taken off guard by my question. I guess he was expecting me to ask him more and more questions about his past.

"Yeah," he said and gave me a smile that didn't reach his eyes.

"I'm sorry for bothering you with my questions but I want to know about your past. You always were so mysterious to me," I told him.

"I was mysterious to you?" he asked, clearly smiling now. I'm glad that he was smiling.

"Yeah, you were. That was because I just knew very little about you," I explained.

"Am I still mysterious to you?" he asked.

"No," I answered.

"Good."

Then there was silence. It seemed like we were running out of things to talk about. Apparently not, as a question popped in head.

"Ashton, your grandparents were secret agents, your parents were secret agents and you are a secret agent. Were your ancestors secret agents too?" It seemed like a joke but it really was a question.

He laughed. "Was it a joke, Rachael?" he asked.

"Not really. It was a question and I want to know the answer," I said to him.

"To answer your question, Special Squad is a very old secret organization and maybe some of my ancestors were secret agents. I'm not sure," he said.

"You belong to a family of secret agents then," I told him.

He laughed. "Yeah."

Then we were silent again. Another question popped in my head. It seemed as if I had so many questions. But so many things were also hidden from me due to which many questions were arising.

"If I want to become a secret agent now, can I be given a chance?" I asked Ashton seriously.

"To be honest, I'm not sure. But Michael will definitely not want you to become a secret agent. When you were fifteen, Special Squad wanted you to start your training of becoming a secret agent but Michael said no," he informed me.

"Michael said no? But why?"

"Rachael, life of a secret agent is very dangerous. And obviously Michael doesn't want you anywhere near danger so that's why he didn't wanted you to become a secret agent and that's why he said no to your training," Ashton explained.

"If Michael had said yes to my training, then I would've been a secret agent by now," I said more to myself but Ashton heard me.

"Why do you want to become a secret agent?" he asked.

"Because a secret agent has an interesting life," I answered.

"And who told you that?"

"It always seems like in the James Bond movies," I said to him.

"Rachael, they maybe showing in the movies that James Bond has an interesting life but that's all fiction. A secret agent doesn't have an interesting life!" he said.

"You're saying as if you too don't want me to become a secret agent," I told him.

"That's because it's true! I don't want you to become a secret agent!"

"Why?"

He sighed. "You ask too many questions," he said to me.

"You don't say that when I ask to kiss you," I said. Me and my smarty mouth.

"Rachael, I've told you this many times. Life of a secret agent is dangerous. And I don't want you to be anywhere near danger," he tries to make me understand.

He hid the fact from me that he and Michael are secret agents. And when I express my interest in becoming a secret agent, he tells me that he doesn't want me anywhere near danger. Has he forgotten that I'm already in danger? A man had tried to kill me today! Has he forgotten that?

"It's my life. I can do anything I want. I don't want you to take decisions on my behalf. I'm tired of everyone telling me what to do and what not to do," I said to him. I was clearly pissed off now. I rose from the couch and was about to walk away from there but Ashton grabbed my arm.

Author's Note: Don't forget to vote. :)