Ten: A.M. Convos Get Deep

Zack's apartment was surprisingly clean. I was expecting to walk into a frat mess, not clean floors and table tops.

     "So what am I making you?" I asked with no interest.

     "Whatever you find in the fridge." He told me, leading me to the kitchen. He better have some leftovers.

     His kitchen was fairly new, unlike mine. He had white counter tops, a spacious sink, and silver appliances.

     I opened his fridge and surveyed what was available. Contrary to the rest of the kitchen, his fridge was practically empty besides half a court of milk, a case of coke, butter, a carton of eggs, and a jar of dill pickles.

"How am I supposed to make something out of this?" I questioned. I'm not Chef Gordon, I can't make a meal out of anything.

     "Look in some of the cabinets. There's food in there too." He said, walking out if the kitchen.

     "Where are you going?" I asked as he retreated into the living room, which was also nicer than mine.

     "You don't need me to cook. I'll be in here when you're finished." He called from his leather couch.

     After a sigh of frustration, I began rummaging through some cabinets. It was almost one in the morning. I should be in bed, not making dinner for a jerk.

     There was no organization to his cabinets. I found pots all over the kitchen, fruits and vegetables in multiple random cabinets, and the bread was in a lower cabinet next to the fridge.

     I turned on one of the stove's eyes and placed a pan on it. I got the tub of butter out and let a chunk of it melt. Once melted, I threw two pieces of bread on the pan and they began to toast.

     I sliced up a tomato and set it aside for when the bread was done. I went back to the kitchen and pulled out the carton of eggs.

     Once the bread was done, I placed them on a plate and put the sliced tomato on top. With the pan still hot, I cracked two eggs to fry.

     Within a few minutes, they were ready. I threw on some salt and pepper and lifted the fried eggs off the hot pan. I built Zack's sandwich and got a can of coke out of the fridge. I even put a few dill pickles on his plate. Of course, I treated myself to a few as well.

     With Zack's dinner in my hands, I walked into the living room. The annoyance himself was laying on his couch watching some murder show.

     "Here," I said, sitting the plate on his coffee table. "Can I go now?"

     "What's the matter, Hot Stuff? Don't wanna spend time with me?" Zack joked as he picked up his sandwich.

"Nope," I answered. I began to walk to his door so I could leave but he stopped me.

     "Hold on, you have to wait and see if I like it," Zack called, making me stop.

     "Well then hurry up and eat the damn thing," I complained. I was tired. I wanted to go home.

     "You can't rush eating," Zack informed me as he opened his drink.

     "Sure you can. I do it all the time." I reassured him.

     "Come sit with me." He invited after he took a sip.

     "I'd rather not."

     "You'll be fine. Come watch NCIS. You'll like it." He said, turning up the volume on the TV.

     Going against my better judgment, I sat down next to Zack on his comfy couch.

     I used to watch NCIS, but once college started and I had Sophia there just wasn't enough time in the day to watch TV. The episode playing was obviously a newer one. I didn't have a clue who the blonde girl was.