Twelve: This Is Halloween Pt. 1

Sophia was running all over the apartment in her Snow White costume. When I showed her the package she screamed her high pitched scream and never let her smile falter.

We eventually got me a costume put together. I couldn't remember what Maid Marian wore in the movie so I let my daughter take the reigns and dress me herself.

I had on a pink long sleeve shirt up under a light purple dress I forgot I had. She grabbed a white scarf hanging on my closet door handle and told me to wrap it around my head. I told her I would once we started trick-or-treating because that thing was itchy.

"Now who's going to be your Robin Hood?" Sophia asked, tapping her chin with her tiny finger.

"Who said Maid Marian needs a Robin Hood? Why can't she be a single and happy fox?" I questioned back, placing my hands on my hips.

"Having a man makes everything better. That's what Sky says." Sophia told me.

"Stop listening to what Sky says," I told my child. I really need to talk to Sky about what she tells Sophia.

"So if she tells me to eat my vegetables I should not listen and eat junk food?" She asked me, giggling.

I gave her a 'really?' glare and she burst into a fit of laughter. "You know exactly what I mean," I told her and she kept laughing.

When she finally calmed back down she asked, "When will Sky be here?"

"I'm not sure," I told her, walking the two of us out of my room and into the living room. "I'll give her a call though and see if she's almost here."

"Okie dokie." Sophia cheered and skipped to the couch where her coloring book was.

I picked my phone off the couch arm and pulled up Sky's contact. While the phone rang, I walked over to a closet to look for Sophia's candy bucket.

"Heyo bestie, what's up?" She greeted happily.

"Sophia and I just got done getting dressed. When will you be here?" I asked while digging past extra blankets.

"Traffic sucks right now. I should be there in ten minutes though. Where are we going again?" She asked me. I could faintly hear a horn honking in the background.

"I'm actually not sure yet," I admitted. "But don't worry, I'll ask Zack or something. Maybe he knows."

"Getting warmed up to Zack I see..." she said with a thick layer of teasing to her voice.

"You of all people know good and well that's not how it is," I said, rolling my eyes even though she couldn't see me.

"You of all people should know I'm joking." She retorted back. "I'll see you at the apartment. Traffic is getting kinda crazy out here. If you can, pick someplace within walking distance." Sky said in a hurried tone.

"Okay, see you then," I said before hanging up. I sat my phone down and continued my search for a pink princess candy bag. I eventually found it buried behind spare pillows.

I finally got Sophia completely ready for the night by five. We still had a couple of minutes before Sky would be here so I took the time to figure out where we would actually go for the night.

"Hey, Sophia!" I called through the apartment. "Wanna do me a favor?"

She ran into the living room and said, "Snow White is here to help! What do you need?" She asked me.

"I need you to go ask Zack where he thinks we should go trick-or-treating at tonight," I explained to her.

She lit up when I said Zack's name. Even after being here for two months, she still loved the dude to death. "Can he come with us?" She asked me while jumping in place.