Nineteen: Garden Walks and Chicken Nugg Talks

Sky took Sophia home before I had to go up for more test and scans. Zack didn't leave my side until Dr. Haase made him wait while I got my scans done. An hour or two later I was back in my brightly lit room where I first woke up. I don't like this room. It makes me feel broken and I'm tired of feeling broken. 

"Give me some time to go over and examine the results and I'll be back later to deliver the news." Dr. Haase said before turning to leave my room. 

"Wait! Would it be okay for me to get up and walk around? I feel like I haven't stood up in days." I asked before he could leave. 

"Sure, as long as Mr. Evans accompanies you, just as a precaution." Dr. Haase agreed.

I sat up and Zack helped me out of bed. I was wearing a hospital gown so I forced Zack to turn away while I made sure nothing was exposed on my backside.  

"Oh come on! You don't trust me?" Zack teased as he faced the wall. 

"Trust you not to look? I would never make that mistake." I said in return. 

"Well, hurry up. You're more interesting to look at than a wall." He complained of boredom.

"You're so impatient," I complained. "I'm done." 

He turned back towards me with a smile on his face and a sparkle in his green eyes. He was taking in my appearance from head to toe. I could tell he was itching to say something.

"What's that look for?" I asked, slightly blushing. I didn't know what he was going to say. I didn't exactly look my best at the moment. 

"You look great." He said simply. 

"No need for the sarcasm, Zack." I rolled my eyes. 

"That wasn't sarcasm." He said, stepping closer to me. He placed his hands on my hips and pulled me closer to him. "I meant it. You look amazing, even in a hospital gown." He leaned down and gave me a small innocent kiss. 

I felt my smile creep onto my face. It usually appeared around Zack, along with eye rolls. "Come on," I said, pulling away from him but grabbing his hand at the same time. "I need some fresh air." 

The hospital had a lovely garden in the backyard. Even though most of the plants were beginning to die, I could tell this place was beautiful during the spring and summer seasons. Thankfully, it was one of the warmer days of the month. Only a few clouds dotted the sky. There were a few older patients walking the paths, probably for physical therapy. One even had a service dog walking alongside him and his nurse.

We began walking along the path as well, my hands resting around Zack's arm. The fresh air filled my lungs. I tried seeing if my breathing was off, but it wasn't. It was completely normal. There was no indication that something was wrong with my lungs. 

"Why are you breathing like that?" Zack asked, looking confused. 

I realized a had been taking deeper breaths at a slower pace. "Trying to see if I have lung cancer," I answered. 

"You don't have lung cancer," Zack said, almost as if it was a crazy idea for me to think.

"Did you not hear the doctor mention a mass? Or was that just me?" 

"It was a small mass, Naomi. If it's dangerous, they can easily remove it and you will be able to move on from this." He reassured. 

"Since when did you become a doctor?" I questioned. 

"Hey, I watch tons of Grey's Anatomy. I know a thing or two." He claimed with a prideful smile. 

I couldn't help but laugh. "Hate to break it to you, but I don't think Grey's Anatomy is good enough medical schooling for you to diagnose me."