Chapter VII: Poker Face and Unexpected Visitor

Chapter Seven: Poker Face and Unexpected Visitor.

For the second time in less than a week, my feed is full of pictures of Jake and his model lady Holly. Being in a hype has me more angry than betrayed and the urge to throw my phone across the room, watch it shatter, is overwhelming. How dare he? According to my feed, it's from Mercedes Benz's new collection of luxury sport cars launch, tonight. I'm rubbing my temples, trying to control my anger and contain myself when my phone vibrates and rings.

Incoming Call: Jake💗

I let it ring at least six times just to torture him before answering. "Hello?"

"Hey." He speaks calmly, "Were you busy?"

"No."

"I was just calling you to tell you, I'll have to rain check tonight's dinner. Mark booked me an appearance for a launch and I wasn't aware of it until a while ago." He informs me. The fact that he excludes Holly from his explanation angers me even more.

"Oh really?" The sarcasm on my voice is unmistakeable, unable to hold it in. "I figured you weren't going to show up when my phone was bombarded with pictures of you and Holly." I paused, then adding, "Again."

"Sky--"

"Don't bother." I interrupt, hanging up.

Him hiding Holly's presence is what has me bothered the most. Less than a week ago, we had a fight where he was the one nearly begging me not to leave. Is my biggest insecurity coming alive? Am I turning into a burden to him? I don't belong in his world. Wouldn't it be easier for him to be with someone who is familiar with his world? Maybe someone like Holly? Her face is camera friendly. The media knows her and follows her modeling career. Her blue eyes, blonde hair and five foot eight inch figure pales mine.

I take the chicken parmesan out of the oven, covering it with aluminum foil before putting it in the fridge. I'm no longer hungry and since Jake is not coming, there's no point of having it out and ready to cook. I put away the plates and forks, clearing the dinner table. Once everything is put away, I turn off the lights and head to the room. I change out of my leggings into short shorts, heading to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face before bed.

• • •

The sound of keys is heard through the hallway as Jake arrives. Funny, how it's after midnight nearly three hours after we talked and he's just coming home to me, after spending the night with another woman when he was supposed to share it with me. He's trying to be quiet but, being completely oblivious to my state, he doesn't know I'm awake, bursting with energy that I'm going to burn yelling at him. I hear him toss the keys onto the counter, his footsteps nearing my room. I'm leaning against the headboard when he comes in. His eyes adjust to the darkness before he talks, "Sky?"

"What? Expected me to be asleep when you came home?" The venom in my voice and the light of the just turned on lamp cause him to frown.

"No." His response sounds more like a question than an answer.

"Did you have fun?" I ask before taking a drink from the cup of water next to me on the nightstand.

"Sky--"

"No? Did I stop you? I'm sorry."

"Stop patronizing me, Sky." He's getting angry which angers me more. He has no right to get mad at me.

"Then, stop lying to me!" My resolve breaks as I yell bloody murder at him. Wouldn't be surprised if the neighbors were startled. "Am I stopping you from doing something? Because if I am, let me know and we'll quit playing games."