Chapter XII: Family Bonding

Chapter Twelve: Family Bonding.

Jake and I leave just after sunrise. It's nearly a five hour drive and we want to get there early. A duffle bag with both of our necessities is on the trunk of the car since we won't be returning until tomorrow in the afternoon. I'm excited and nervous to meet someone as close to Jake as Ethan is, when it comes to family. I've seen a couple of pictures of the two brothers together and although they weren't recent, even as youngster, there was a fair similarity between the brothers; which makes me wonder if now as men there still is. Jake has a few family photos in his loft in Los Angeles. He's had the property since before I met him. Even though, he doesn't spend a lot of time in the West coast anymore, he still decides to keep it and not sell it. He only puts it to use whenever he goes there.

Jake told me Ethan and his wife Jen, have two daughters. Lizzie, who is turning three years old today and is named after Jake and Ethan's mother, Elizabeth and Maddie, who is eight months old. Jake hasn't seen them since September for Ethan's birthday, three months ago. Having two girls, makes me wonder if they will pursue a little boy or stay with two dolls. I'm intrigued to see Jake interact with his nieces. I've seen him with younger fans -- the few times we've gone out after I was discovered -- and it melts my heart but I think that seeing him with family will melt it even more. He's always been kindhearted and it's what every woman likes in a man, specially if he's her partner.

Being awake so early has me drifting on and off of sleep throughout the drive. Jake makes a quick stop and buys us both coffee. At the stop, he's recognized by the cashier with wide eyes and stuttering but she keeps the discovery to herself only quickly telling Jake she's a big fan as she gives him our order. We decide to skip breakfast since Ethan informed Jake they would be having tons of food from Lizzie's birthday party today. We return to our driving and I laugh as one of the radio stations plays Jake's last single. I crank the volume up and continue to laugh as Jake becomes weirded out by listening his voice on the radio. He should be used to it by now.

"He's pretty good, you know?" I tell him, after the song is done. "Can tell he's quite a charmer just by the lyrics." Jake chuckles, shaking his head and my jokes. "But he's absolutely not better than my babe, Adam Levine. God." I fake a swoon as Jake glances towards me.

"Your babe?" He questions, incredulously, raising his eyebrows.

I nod, "One and only."

"Okay." Although, I'm joking -- and he knows it, the clenched muscle on his jaw doesn't go unnoticed. I'm ashen at the fact that even though I'm not serious, he's still possessive and jealous.

I stretch across the console and kiss his cheek, smiling as I put my hand on his thigh. "You're cute when you're jealous."

He turns to look at me, the smile still present on my face. After a while he gives up and smiles back at me, taking my hand from his thigh and kissing it.

• • •

We enter the long gravel driveway of the large two-story house located in the suburbs of Maine. My nerves escalate the closer we get to the house until we park. It's just after noon when we arrive. Traffic wasn't so bad for it to be a Saturday. Highways tend to be more crowded during the weekends. Jake cuts off the ignition and turns to look at me, sensing my nerves. "It'll be okay." He kisses our joined hands before opening the door. Jake takes our duffel bag from the trunk as we come out. He locks the car and we join our hands, again, walking to the front door. Jake rings the bell. A few seconds later, the door knob turns, opening the door. A man nearly as tall as Jake with brown hair and brown eyes stands on the other side. Jake and his brother could pass as twins if it wasn't for their eight year difference. The only very noticeable difference between them is their eye color. While Jake has vibrant green eyes and messy disheveled sort of long brown hair, Ethan has chocolate brown eyes and brown clean cut hair, giving him a businessman vibe. Although they look similar, their personalities and likings couldn't be more different, also. While Jake has a rock and roll style with his hair and sleeve tattooed arm as well as other tattoos, Ethan has a business aura with his looks and outfit of black pants and a turquoise polo shirt.