Chapter XVII: Shattered

Chapter Seventeen: Shattered.

JAKE

I'm sitting in the waiting room, waiting as Sky is admitted and treated. According to one of the Emergency Room doctors, once she's all settled, I'll be able to see her. Her psychiatrist was also contacted as soon as Sky was brought in. Carter and her parents are on their way to New York from Boston. I called them to assure them she was safe and we were now in the hospital, wanting them to have a somewhat calm and safe drive. The boys and Mark know I'm here but are clueless as to why. And will continue to be since it's not my place to tell them what Sky is going through.
Although I want to spend the night here; next to her, I can't. I can't cancel my performance on Good Morning America last minute. As much of an emergency this is, it will be very unprofessional of me. Nonetheless, I'm coming back to the hospital as soon as I'm done. My career holds a very important place in my life but, Sky is my priority right now. Giving her my non-stop support and love is what I need to do. I don't want her to feel like she's going through this alone. Like she must stay strong and act as if it doesn't matter.

Hours go by until I'm allowed to see her. A woman probably in her mid-forties approaches me, hands hidden in the pockets of her thin cotton, white robe.

"Hi. Doctor Reynolds." She introduces herself, extending one of her hands.

I stand up from what has been my permanent seat these last two hours, shaking her hand. "Jake Caplin."

"I understand you're not family and although, it's against my work ethnic to report to you, I'll notify you on Miss Atkin's condition per her request." Dr. Reynolds states. "She has been moved to a room and her episode has been controlled with some mood stabilizers and antidepressants. She is currently sleeping and will be supervised for the next twenty-hours. Depending on her state, she will be released between tomorrow and Thursday morning."

"Can I see her?" I ask, desperate to be next to her.

"I'm guessing you'll be staying with her through the night so, you may. She's in room four-o-seven." She replies. "Before you leave, Mr. Caplin." She speaks, catching my attention, again. "Miss Atkin had hold of this necklace when she arrived. I thought I should give it to you to keep until she wakes up." She retracts the piece of jewelry from her pocket and hands it to me.

I glance at the heart pendant before safely pocketing it. "Thank you."

She nods in acknowledgement and turns to leave. I walk to the elevator and take my phone out. It's been nearly three hours since I last talked to Carter. I know how much they must be worrying and I believe that an update would be appreciate it. I push the call button for the elevator and unlock my phone. It's blasting with several messages of fans, spamming my accounts with questions about Sky being hospitalized.

"Goddamn it," I mutter, balling my fists.

It's situations like this that I don't comprehend why the press can't give someone privacy. Her mental illness is not something I nor Sky would want to share with my fans and the world of entertainment. The fact that the information has already been leaked infuriates me and makes me wonder where are people's morals. I dial Carter's number as the elevator door opens, pushing the button to floor number four.

"How is she?" He answers.

"The doctor just told me she's asleep. They gave her some mood stabilizers and antidepressants." I report, "I'm on my way to her room, now."

"Good. We're more than halfway there." He says, "So, we'll see you later."

"Okay, bye." I hung up just as the doors open to the designated floor.