[viii] Help

October 1

October 1

6:35 P.M.

Beacon Hills Cemetery

The group of 5 paraded around the cemetery, looking for clues as to who may have stolen the box from the grave. While Scott, Stiles, and Derek searched around, Phoebe pulled Isaac off to the side to talk to him.

She crossed her arms over her chest and gave him a small grin, "I guess it's time for your first lesson. Notice how you've been smelling things stronger than usual?"

"Like that Marc Jacobs perfume in your pocket?" Isaac perks a snarky eyebrow, "Yeah, I have."

Phoebe nods, pursing her lips. "Now, it's time to use those senses for good. You can pick up scents on people and things, and connect them to things you've previously smelled before. Like, my perfume. What I want you to do is go out there with them and look around, see if you can sniff anything out."

Isaac shakes his head and chuckles to himself, "This is so weird."

"You'll get the hang of it," Phoebe assures him, giving him a playful punch on the arm. "I'm going to go out in the woods and see if I find anything."

She turns on her boot heel and goes off in the other direction, leaving him standing there. He pockets his hands and sighs dreamily, turning around to meet the others near the scene of the crime. Scott was kneeled while Derek and Stiles stood off to the side, chatting amongst themselves.

"Woah. You look like you've been struck." Stiles retorted when Isaac walked up, catching him off guard. What did he mean by that? Was there a bruise from his father that hadn't healed?

"What-"

"Stricken with love."

Isaac rolls his eyes and kicks at the leaves beneath his feet. "Not funny, dude."

"Guys," Scott calls, standing up from his spot beside the grave. He dusted himself of any dirt before he spoke, "I don't smell anything besides.. Gasoline."

"Gas?" Isaac perks up, face scrunching in confusion. "Okay, so.. What does that mean?"

"That whoever stole it smells like gas." Derek speaks up with a nonchalant shrug, "That doesn't really tell us anything when there's only two stations in town and they both use the same kinds of gasoline."

Stiles brings a hand up to scratch the back of his head, "Well, they were driving, so that at least rules out the possibility of it being a child."

Derek cocks his head, "Was a child ever the suspect?"

"Well-"

"Guys." Scott shut his eyes, shaking his head. "Let's just go tell Phoebe."

The group follows Scott's orders and marches towards the edge of the cemetery where Phoebe was kneeled with her back turned to them. Her head lifted as if she heard them approaching, and she quickly pocketed something in her jacket just in time before turning around, coming face to face with the three boys.