[xxvi] The Bite

November 19

11:09 P.M.

Beacon Hills Sheriffs Station

The group sat on the bench just outside the Sheriff's office, their hands chained to the wood. Phoebe and Lydia were resting with their heads laid together, holding each other's hands the best they could with their restraints. The guys on the other hand were wide awake- With the exception of Stiles, who was snoring away on Scott's shoulder. Somewhere in the midst of all the chaos, Allison managed to weasel her way away from the crime scene just in time so she wasn't arrested.

Everyone's respective guardians were contacted about them possibly being held at the station overnight for questioning. As the night went on, it seemed to get longer and longer and Phoebe was having trouble keeping her eyes open. They had all already been interrogated about the body and the officers only seemed to be getting paperwork ready for a verdict. Every once in a while they'd mumble on about how they hated the kids for making them stay later in the night and how they'd much rather be in bed or with their wives.

Lydia began mumbling about something to Phoebe, but her mind was elsewhere. It had been a while since she'd gotten a proper night of sleep, and although this wasn't exactly "Proper" per say, it would have to do. Her eyes finally slid closed and she began to lightly snore, causing Isaac to look over at the girl directly to his right.

She looked beautiful as always, and seeing her like this, he couldn't help but remember the nights they would spend together. When did it go wrong?

3 hours go by, and by that time, they'd all fallen asleep. The entire station was dark and empty aside from the few standing officers at their computers or wandering about the building.

That's when Isaac began to whisper in Phoebe's ear, and as her eyes fluttered open she swore that she'd never hated Isaac any more than she did in that moment.

"Phoebe!" He hissed, leaning into her.

She groaned and stiffly shuffled in the cold seat, trying to get comfortable again. "Whaaaat."

"Do you hear that?"

"No." Phoebe grunted without even listening, laying her head down once more. "Go to sleep."

"Phoebe, I'm serious!" Isaac urged, rocking her back and forth. She shook his off like a child having a tantrum and pouted deeply when she sat up, rubbing at her tired reddened eyes.

Phoebe sighed and listened to the silence around them, staring directly at Isaac as she did so, examining his features as she did before. For a second, she'd almost forgotten that she was pretending to despise him and she felt her facade crumbling. She quickly regained herself and her scour replaced her smile.

"I still don't hear anything." She answered groggily, turning back over to lean against Lydia again. "Seriously, Isaac, you're just paranoid. Go to sleep."

But he couldn't, no matter how hard he tried. It was the beeping that woke him up in the first place.

It was getting louder, faster. It was scarily consistent and couldn't have been some machine inside of the station. Isaac's heart started beating faster and faster when he pressed his ear against the glass of Sheriff's office and the noise became even more clear. Faster, faster, faster.

Until it blew.

Isaac was a half second ahead, breaking free of his chains, grabbing onto the two people closest to him; Stiles and Phoebe. The blast that erupted throughout the station had everyone on the ground before they could even process what was happening.