[xi] Allison Argent

October 1

October 1

8:12 P.M.

Tonsla household

"So, Isaac, tell me about yourself!" Joy exclaimed as she walked around the perimeter of the table, placing the two's plates of steak in front of them. Phoebe was sat next to Isaac with Joy sitting across from them. Everyone else left after the raging phone call she shared with Allison, and the whole idea of the casual dinner with Isaac made Phoebe uncomfortable, but as usual, she didn't let this discomfort show.

"Uh, I go to Beacon Hills high-school-" Isaac started, but Joy cut him off with a loud groan.

"Tell me something I don't know, please!" She rolled her eyes, beginning to precisely cut her steak without breaking eye contact with him. "What are you? How'd you get dragged into this? How did you meet my daughter?"

"Mom, you're making this sound like something else." Phoebe raised her eyebrows, her tone sounding more like a warning.

"I know you're still with D, honey." She sighs sadly, shaking her head. "Forgive me for trying, I just can't help but despise that boy. Anyways, continue, Isaac."

"D?" Isaac perked up curiously at the first clue as to who Phoebe's boyfriend was. When neither of them reply, he huffs in annoyance and begins to speak again, "Okay, well, I'm a werewolf. Just recently turned, actually, from Derek."

Joy tsked, "Derek's up to his old antics again, huh? Hopefully you won't end up like his last two betas."

Phoebe's eyes went wide and she dropped her fork, looking to her mom with disbelief, "MOM!"

"What?" Joy puts her hand up in defense, giving Isaac an innocent smile, "I'm not saying he's going to die, I'm just saying he should be careful."

"Um.. Thanks?" Isaac shifts uncomfortably, looking down at his plate. "So, yeah, I'm his new beta. I met Phoebe the other night at the graveyard, she kind of saved my life."

Joy beamed happily, "I'm glad to hear that, or else I would not have the pleasure of meeting such a kind, wonderful young man such as yourself."

The rest of dinner was filled with small talk, and over the course of the next hour or so, Isaac felt himself loosening up to their family. Joy was extremely kind even though she could be very blunt at times. And Phoebe was.. Phoebe. Though, something was off.

It seemed as if Isaac was sucking up her confidence like a sponge; With the growing minutes, she grew more isolated and nervous, leg bouncing rapidly under the table, while he was becoming more outspoken and comfortable when the roles were usually reversed.

While they were nearing the end of their dinner, his confidence was nearly shooting through the roof. He looked over to Phoebe, who's face was practically buried in her hands at that moment. She reached for her glass of water and brought it up to her lips, giving him a sly idea. As Joy raved on and on about something that he'd drowned out, he reached under the table.