Mixed Feelings

As we rolled into town, I rolled down the window and began looking around the great town of Helena. Helena was one of my favorite places to compete, it had a great atmosphere and the set up was amazing. Plus, I've won every time I've entered here, knock on wood though. Also I got to see my friends from the Eastern part of the state, I was really excited to be here. 

Every one in the family is here, dad, mom, Caleb, Ashley, and our corgi-blue heeler mix, Jade. We always brought Jade with us, it was good entertainment when there was nothing to do. Jade may be small, but she is one of the best cattle dog there is, also she is really cute! Our other two dogs are at Taylor's house, where her parents are watching them because Taylor is also coming down with Beau. 

We all gaped at the huge Cathedral, we've all seen it before, but it seemed each time we all noticed something different about it. Like this time, I noticed how the mountains reflected off the glass of the huge windows, it was amazing. "Hurry up, we're behind schedule!" My mom said to my dad and I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion.

"We're just fine, stop you're worryin'." He says back to her and she just roll her eyes and looks back at the window. My mom always said that kind of stuff, but he was always so laid back, I guess that's how most guys are. 

"What schedule?" I asked them, peaking my head around my mom's seat. 

"We're having a cookout for anyone who wants to join, we've invited the usual people we hang around and told them to spread the word." My mom says, turning her head to look at me through her peripheral vision. 

"Okay, sounds fun. What ya cookin' dad?" I ask him. 

"Your brother and I are making hot dogs, burgers, and pork chops." He really emphasized the part about Caleb, and then Caleb groaned. 

"Why do I have to help? I'm sure other guys will be more than willing to help you out!" I always loved to listen to Caleb talk because he sounded like he had a Canadian accent, with a couple of long 'o's. 

"Because the Jones' are hosting it, so the Jones cook. And you will not talk to me like that, young man." My dad says, his tone of voice tells all of us that it's the end of discussion and no one dares to speak of anything until we get to the grounds.  

So that's what we did, no one spoke, you could only hear Jade panting and the sounds of vehicles we passed. But now, my dad was backing up the trailer into a spot and I couldn't wait to get out of this crowded truck and stretch my legs and walk around.   

***************

I tucked my phone in my back pocket of my Miss Me jeans as I looked around the grounds. I was looking for a black and red goose neck trailer, with some odd detailing on the side of it. Why was I looking for this trailer? Well to answer, I was looking for my boyfriend. Cooper told me to meet him there when I got here. 

My eyes finally landed on the trailer, and then I saw Cooper brushing his horse, what a beautiful sight to see. A smile crept on my face when I saw him and I couldn't wait to talk to him. But I was stopped when I heard my name being screamed, "DAKOTA!!" I stopped walking and I turned around and saw my old friend Dallas running towards me. Dallas had beautiful long black hair, and she always curled it, she was a rodeo queen. She also had a pair of blue and green eyes, that showed off her dark skin. People said we looked like sisters, I could see it, but she had a more rounder face than I did. 

Before I could say my hello, she jumped on me and gave me a big ol' hug. I tightly wrapped my arms around her, balancing myself from her explosiveness. "Hey girl." I laughed as we let each other girl. 

"I didn't know you were competing today!" She said stepping in front of me, blocking my vision of Cooper. But I leaned on my right leg, so I could see him and I saw him looking at us.