Only Memory

I turned off my curling iron and then grabbed my hairspray and added another heavy layer of spray onto my hair, hoping the curls will last. I looked at myself in the mirror, making slight adjustments to my outfit. I am wearing a maroon T-shirt dress, a turquoise squash blossom necklace, and my buckskin coconut Lambert fringed heels. My hair is styled in big bouncy-romantic curls, I am wearing foundation and mascara. 

I wanted to look good for him, to cover up how much of a mess I have been lately. All I've been doing is wearing his shirt around his house and watching sad movies. I've been avoiding calls and texts from friends and family. I needed to talk to Cooper before I could talk to anyone else. I needed to know he will be okay. The only two people I have been talking to is God and Desiree. Desiree and I check up on each other from time to time and we talk about what is currently on our minds, it somewhat helps. As for God, I ask him for guidance and ask him to look over Cooper as he is without his friends and family. 

I grab my fringe satchel off the counter, as it holds money, my keys, and my wallet with all of my information. As I walk out of the door, I lock it and then let it close into its frame and walk to my pickup. I throw my satchel into the passenger seat as I climb into the drivers seat and then start my pickup and begin to make my way to the Jefferson County Jail. 

***************

I signed my name, date, time and the person who I was visiting, and then I pushed the sheet under the window to the girl. She gave me a nod and then I put the pen down and went to go take a seat with the other visitors. I looked for an open spot and spotted one in the third row, so walking in front of people, I sat in the chair, no body beside me. I couldn't help but look at the other people waiting, I wonder who they were visiting. Were some people like me? Visiting innocent people who don't deserve to be here, or consciously visiting guilty people because they don't care what they did. Mothers visiting their sons or daughters? Or vice versa? I know one thing we all had in common, we were all nervous about being here. 

I stared at the picture of Cooper and I on my lock screen. It was the same picture as the one that Cooper has beside his bed, the one where I was on his back smiling happily and he had an adorable toothless grin. Then I opened my phone to my home screen, which was Cooper sleeping on my chest when we were in Mandan. My heart tugged at the thought, remembering the warm feeling of his arm across my chest and his warm breath against my neck. I'd do anything to go back to that moment right now.

As I was flipping back and fourth between the two screens a feminine voice called, "DaKota Jones." I tucked my phone back into my satchel and then stood up and walked over to the police officer. "The bag ma'am." She said and then I took off my satchel and put it in the plastic bin and walked through the metal detector. 

No beeps sounded as I walked through, and then the lady walked me towards the visiting room. She opened the door and I followed her in the crowded room full of visitors and inmates. My heart beat increased with each step as I took to my seat, "He'll be out in a minuet." She said and I gave her a soft smile and nod as she walked away. 

I began to play with the hem of my dress as I waited for him to come, other people's conversations started to consume my thoughts. Then the sound of a chair scooting back caught my attention. I looked up and saw him. 

Our eyes met and something in me just wanted to break down and cry for him. He was in a charcoal jumpsuit, with a white shirt under. Over his shirt I saw his necklace , at least he had a part of me with him. He had grown a 12 o'clock shadow, making him look older, more suited for jail. "Hey." He tried to give me a happy smile, but it turned out sad. 

I pressed the phone against my ear, "Hey." I barely spoke, wondering if he even heard me. 

"You look beautiful, hot date later?" He jokes, earning him an angry/sad glare from me. "Okay, not funny." He says sadly as I stare at him.