Chapter 9

At the borders of the forest the ponies were unloaded of the packs and sent back to their owner and Twilletoria sent Starlight away once more but without the supplies because she had a feeling that she may need them whilst traveling through Mirkwood. All members had an unsettling feeling about entering this mysterious forest but the most unsettling thing was that Gandalf was not game to enter the forest with the rest of the company.

"I will not be accompanying you through the forest for this is not my quest and I have other business to attend to." This made all the dwarves start talking at once but only one voice rang out amongst them and it did not belong to a dwarf.

"Are you just scared about what might unfold in this forest?" This was infact Twilletoria who spoke up and all eyes turned to her in awe for nobody called Gandalf a coward, nobody.

"I fear for you because anyone who enters that forest without a drop of fear is either very stupid or insane." But that was not the right thing to say, and one look at Twilletoria and Fili knew that she is barely holding it down.

"Do not call me that! I have no fear, for I have wandered these woods many times! I am not insane!" You could visibly see her shaking from head to toe with rage so Gandalf chose his next sentence very carefully.

"I did not call you insane, merely that you may not know what lies within that forest. A lot has changed since you last walked along the elven path."

"I know, I can feel it but I have no fear. Not anymore anyway." This last part was whispered so only the wizard and Fili could hear but they did not repeat it for they understood very well that you never question her past.

"Well, I must be off. Good luck to you all and i hope you make it through to the other side alive."

"What a comforting thought." This was the first time the hobbit had spoken since leaving Beorn's house and it did not pass unnoticed.

"Do not worry master Baggins, I'm sure you will all make it through one way or another." And with Gandalf having the last word he swept up onto his horse and rode far into the distance until he was but a speck on the horizon. Then they all turned to face the elven gateway into Mirkwood forest.

"Ladies first" Thorin added a little bow as he said it.

"Why me?"

"Because you're the one that knows the way apparently."

"Oh yeah, but its been a while." But she stepped into the forest first and started along the well worn path that she once new off by heart and could walk it backwards and with her eyes closed. Unfortunately the forest had changed greatly and there was a much more sinister feel to the forest air and the trees all curved and twisted to let no light in so once they entered there was no turning back.

"You do know the way right?" A nervous Ori asked.

"I think so, just as long as we stick to the path we should be alright." This did little to settle the dwarves though because they were all relying on Twilletoria, the exact thing Balin did not want to do.

Balin's judgement was right as well for inside the mind of Twilletoria there was another battle of wills because entering the forest stirred up something inside of her and it became even harder to keep her hatred bottled up inside of her. What Gandalf said really rattled her and she couldn't let it go. Did people really see her as insane? Is she actually insane? Well yes she was but she didn't want other people to know about it, telling Fili and Thorin was hard enough, the whole world doesn't need to know. Maybe that's why Legolas left her... But he didn't know what happened, Dad had kept that a secret from everyone that wasn't there.