Chapter 18

They arrived with trumpets and weapons that very next morning, once again Bard was at the front as they marched up the slope to the front gate.

"Do they never learn?" Thorin awoke early like the rest of the dwarves for he had heard that the dwarves of the Ironhills were almost upon them. He didn't know the reason for the camper's return but he was starting to get annoyed.

"Thorin Oakenshield we have had a change of events." Bard called out over the wall.

""Haha, he has heard wind of Dain's troops." Thorin whispered this to the dwarves and relaxed a little. "Are you leaving then?"

"No we would like to propose a trade, for some treasure that is rightfully ours."

Thorin then climbed up onto the wall and stood on top looking down onto the scene before him. It was not quite what he expected for there was few elves and men but there was an elderly man with them. "What do you have that we would want to trade with?"

"This" and then Bard revealed a ornate wooden box and slowly opened it up. Thorin's eyes grew wide with surprise and anger.

"How did you come to aquire it, I have been looking for the Arkenstone everyday! Did you steal it?" Thorin was outraged and shaking with fury.

"No, your little hobbit gave it to us." Poor little Bilbo had really hoped they wouldn't say that because now all eyes were on him and it was a very uncomfortable feeling.

"You evil little traitor, you descendant of rats! Get up here now." Thorin's eyes were full of rage and was prepared to do anything to the poor little hobbit.

"You said I could do as I wished with my 14th share of treasure so I chose to give it to the men so they can have it." Bilbo managed to squeak out.

"Argh! I wish Gandalf was here, I would curse him for his choice." Thorin started to push Bilbo over the edge of the wall. Then the cloaked elderly man stepped forward and cast his cloak aside.

"Your wish is granted, and please do not hurt my burglar." Thorin was momentarily taken aback but soon regained his anger.

"Then take him, he is no friend of ours for he is a traitor. we will give his fourteenth of gold and silver to you to divide up in exchange for the Arkenstone. Begone." With that Bilbo scurried down the wall and followed the group back to the camp.

Bard had given them one day to give them the treasure but Thorin was thinking of ways to keep both the Arkenstone and the treasure with Dain's army closing in.

The next morning there were horns and trumpets crying out for the dwarf army had hurried on through the night and were now on the western spur and closing fast.

"Prepare arms." Bard shouted out and the elves and men rallied and faced the oncoming army clad in armour that was stronger than most. "Who are you?"

"We were sent by Dain son of Nain and we are here to aid Thorin Oakenshield, King under the mountain."

Bard would refuse to let the dwarves through and sent a messenger to see whether there was any gold for them but all they got were arrows aimed their way. So these two great armies faced each other and prepared to fight, but just as the first arrows were sent and the swords were lifted Twilletoria came running down and stood strong inbetween the two armies.

She had slipped out of the mountain when noone was looking for she had seen another great army arriving and these were goblins. " Hold fire! Do you not see that there is a greater threat upon you. The goblins and wargs from the mountains are coming and will be here within seconds! Do not fight one another, link arms and take on this new threat."

Everyone was silent as they took in her civil words and listened for the oncoming evil but as Twilletoria was about to speak again an arrow come flying towards her and scraped her shoulder where her heart had been a split second ago.

"They are here! Fight together and we will prevail!" With Twilletoria's shout all races took up arms ready for the onslaught of battle. This was the beginning of the Battle of Five Armies for there were the elves, the men, the dwarves against the goblins and the wargs. They came marching out of the rocks and charged, arrows flew, axes were swung, swords were held high.

There was no end to this war, as soon as the goblins were destroyed and the others pushed back to the mountainside a new wave came with wargs and wolves and goblins riding them. Bard brought his all and fought along side his men as an archer but soon even them were starting to get overwhelmed. But help came from the mountain for the original company of dwarves charged out of the front gate and destroyed their wall, they were clad in rich gold and mithril armour and held the most beautifully carven weapons. They killed many goblins and wargs but it was not to last, a great big warg came down heavily onto Thorin and this time Twilletoria was not there to save him. Fili and Kili were though and they took down the warg with great vengence and ferocity.

As the great warg fell Fili and Kili stood guard over Thorin's crippled body to protect their uncle and they did save him many times but then Bolg, son of Azog cme marching up and it was he who led the army of goblins for it was his father who fell in the battle in Moria and he wanted revenge. Kili charged first but he was no match for the strength of Bolg and he soon crumpled to the ground with unblinking eyes.

"NOOOOO" Fili cried out and charged Bolg head on, Twilletoria had heard his cry and she fought her way towards his shout and made it just in time to see the one she loved so dearly fall next to his brother with the same dead eyes.

"NOOOOOOO" This time it was Twilletoria who screamed as she ran to Fili's side but by the time she got there she could barely see through her blurred vision from the oncoming tears. "Why... why" and she wept for two minutes but that was all she gave herself because she needed to get back into the fight and kill the one who destroyed her life.

"BOLG, Where are you?" Twilletoria shouted out and in answer to her question a crudely carved sword swung down on her. She sidestepped and drove her own axe into his side and then into his head, Bolg was no more and for once Twilletoria felt tired beyond imaginable and fell to the ground. She just lay there for a while trying to not think of anything but then ofcourse everything horrible surfaces to her mind and she lay there in torment.

A great roar sounds from the battle scene below and Twilletoria manages to turn her head to see Beorn charging in whilst in bear form and taking out a whole line of goblins. She didn't know whether it was this sign of hope or the realisation that she had nothing left to lose that drove her to stand and fight once more. She was filled with rage and soon there was a pile of dead goblins at her feet and when she was just about to charge yet again an arrow came flying out of nowhere and shot her right in the chest, she fell but did not die and because of this she realised that it was an elven arrow that had peirced her chest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-One more chapter to go :)