Chapter 17

There was a collective gasp then King Thranduil said "You are wise to betray your friends."

"I am not betraying them, I just want to get Thorin out of the curse he is falling under and I don't want any fighting." Bilbo stood a little straighter as it dawned on him what he was doing and he did not want to look weak!

"So what do you wish us to do with this stone then?" Bard now understood the enormity of this stone and he did not quite know how there was going to be no blood shed because of this turn of events.

"I will give up my fourteenth of the treasure and you can take it when trading with the Arkenstone." Bilbo did not see the necessity of having so much treasure, he already had a coat of mail and helmet that Thorin had given him when they first came out to realise the great dragon was dead.

This time it wa the elven king who spoke for he did not meet the hobbit in his kingdom. "How strange you are.... I think we will do as you say for I see the sense in it but how do we know this isn't a trick?"

"It is not a trick! Thorin does not know I have the stone and he already has an army marching down from the Ironhills to get you moving off this land."

"Now why would you tell us that? You really are betraying your dwarf friends."

"I just thought you should know so to be prepared for anything. Do you believe it is not a trick now? I really have to be getting back." It was nearly midnight and that was when the watchman was supposed to swap so he needed to get back.

"So nobody else knows about you aquiring the stone?"

"Well... only one person but I trust them very much and I do not believe she would tell Thorin. She covered up for me once before."

"She? Are you refering to Twilletoria?" King Thranduil very much disliked her and Bilbo realized he would have to tread carefully.

"Urrrr yeah."

"I would never trust her, this may be a trick yet"

But Bard had a different opinion on the she-elf "I do not know what quarrels you had with her but I found her quite nice and very trusting so I believe we must trust this little hobbit and take the offer of bargaining the Arkenstone to at least have a chance at not beginning a war." This statement confirmed it all and soon the Arkenstone was placed in a ornate box which stayed in Bard's care for nobody knew what might happen to it if it was left in the hands of King Thranduil.

Bilbo could finally return back to the darkness and coldness of the mountain halls but on his way through the camp an elderly looking man exited his tent and walked up to Bilbo. 

"Gandalf! What are you doing here?" Bilbo was ecstatic and couldnt believe his eyes.

"Hello dear Bilbo, I have returned from my errands up North and have returned to help relax everything that is about to unfold."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, do you not expect to be kicked out of the company when they find out you gave the Arkenstone to the enemy?" Then it really dawned on Bilbo, he isnt just giving up his treasure he is also giving up his friendships and who knows what they might do to him when they find out. "Do not despair my friend, the right always prevail over the wrong so I'm sure you will be fine. Plus I will be there incase it is not."

"Right you are Gandalf and I should be getting back before I blow the secret before it comes out." and with that the little hobbit scurried off into the dark and back up to the front gate and came to the newly built wall. He soon found his hidden rope and shimmied up it and rolled onto the top of the wall, then climbed down the ladder and ran off in search for Twilletoria.

When he got to the door he had seen her enter with Fili he gave a quick knock which was soon replied with a "Yes, who is it?"

"It's Bilbo, you should probably go and wake up Bombur now."

"Okay" There was a bit of a scurry and then Twilletoria was at the door half-asleep "Thankyou so much." Then she whispered "How did it go?"

Bilbo was first surprised that Twilletoria knew his plans but then he remembered who he was talking to and answered with "Good, I reckon everything is going to go down tomorrow."

"No matter what happens, I will still be your friend and you can trust me." Then she rushed off in search of the sleeping form of Bombur and sent him off to guard the wall. Bilbo plodded of to his little makshift bed and tried to get some sleep before the sun rose but when it did he had not had a wink.

All the dwarves were up soon after the sun was visible on the horizen as if they knew something important was going to happen today, this was because they knew something. They did not know of Bilbo's plans but they did know today was the day the Dain's army would arrive and rid them of the elves and men, or so they thought.