PART 7

"Hey, what are you doing up there, sweetheart?" He called after her, lowering Lucille.

"Don't stop on my account," she shouted back at him, sinister smile yanking corners of her mouth up and up.

And then it dawned on him. A cold shower wiped a small smile from his face away.

'I don't get all this obsession with not dying... not ending up on the other side of Lucille. We're all gonna die. What does it matter when?'

Those were the exact words that Sally said to him just hours ago. And he was now sure more than ever she meant every single one of them.

"I'm going to get you now, okay?" His words echoed through the compound.

He ordered everybody not to follow him, he had no idea what would tip her off, and began his way up to the roof.

I don't get all this obsession with not dying... echoed in his mind.

Metal staircase kept screeching under his feet, yet nobody heard Sally climbing it up earlier. Taking the stairs two, three at a time he kept repeating in his head how Sally almost made him sleep on the couch that night. And how he played along. He could hardly fit in there to finally get some good night sleep but he wouldn't question her will.

---flashback---

"Negan?" she said into the silence, finding out if he was already asleep on the couch.

"What is it?" he opened his eyes.

"Please come sleep here, I was just teasing," she whispered.

"Are you sure you're not teasing now?" he cocked his eyebrow.

"Come and find out," she flipped the cover from the other side of the bed, inviting him in.

He re-claimed his side of bed and she sit back up.

"I'm really not that sleepy, you know," she took his hand into hers.

"And what is it that you'd like to do?" he chuckled, tired to death.

"Talk. This place is awfully quiet all the time and I like hearing your voice." She rested her head on her bent knees, so she could comfortably still watch him.

He shook with muffled laughter. "Woman in bed with me and she wants to talk. Just when you think nothing can surprise you anymore."

She laughed with him and then said, "Well?"

"This game takes two, sweetheart. You'll have to help me liven this place up."

"What do you want to know?"

"You taking my side last night..."

"I don't get all this obsession with not dying... not ending up on the other side of Lucille. We're all gonna die. What does it matter when?"

It was just then when he noticed some nasty scars in too many places across her skin.

---end of flashback---

He was tracing those scars in his mind again, racing up the last set of stairs.

What does it matter when?

The door to the roof burst open and he stopped in his tracks right there, Lucille hanging by his side.

Sally was standing on the ledge waiting for him.

"What you're doing up here all alone in the middle of the night, love?" he asked softly.

"I wanted to watch the stars but you were sleeping," she shrugged.

"That's it? You wanted to watch the stars?"

"I always do. I'm not good with sleeping, you know?" The nightmares always wake her up.

Negan sighed with relief, looking around, trying to collect himself up. He thought she wanted to ... nevermind.

"Come here," she reached out her hand for him to take.

He put Lucille down and made few steps to take her hand. They were both standing on the ledge of the building, holding hands looking up.

"It doesn't seem so bad now, does it?" she squeezed his hand tight.

"Of course not," he breathed.

What does it matter when?

___

Author's Note: BAM! Double update! These two parts just had to go together. Got some stressful days behind me but writing this is like a therapy, I swear. Hope you like it as well. I've spent so much time alone with my stories so it means a world to me when I hear from you. Therefore, special thanks goes to MissundaztoodDrea who had some nice words to say about my writing (plus I see those stars ⭐️, thank you) 💕 and to sayyestoheaven, thank you for leaving comments 😍, it's great to hear from you. Thank you all for reading and interacting with the story in any way, I appreciate it so much, can't wait to hear from you.

🌩