PART 27

Sally's cry was muffled by her own hands involuntarily pressing on the hurt. The blood began seeping through her fingers almost immediately. All of her concerns fitted into the palm of her hand. Her eyes remained shut, in an attempt to withstand the pain.

Through it all, she felt somebody's hands dragging her away, back to where they came. Not even at that moment she could take being told what to do. Was Carl safe?

She forced one eye open and even though her tears were falling freely, she could see Carl grabbing for a gun, once again being able to defend himself. The responsibility was not hers anymore. She could carelessly fall back into the arms that were pulling her away from the battlefield, out of the gun-range.

And her guardian angel would be quite successful but once she took the scene in and saw who came to the rescue of Alexandria, she forgot all the pain. She let go of her face and tried to pry the helping hands off her. 

"Sally, we gotta move," the man finally spoke. It was Dwight doing his best to get her out of there, but Sally was far from being reasonable. Her only wish was to wrap her hands around the neck of the person in front of her and squeeze so tight there wouldn't be another breath left in their lungs.

"It was you!" She yelled, crushing Dwight's forearms instead. "You took him from me!" Sally's shrieks were so desperate, yet hollow, her voice kept breaking as she tried hold back her sobbing. "You took him from me!"

The person against whom Sally held such a grudge was Carol. Dressed in the armor of Kingdom, she was ready for the battle against Negan, but could never be prepared for Sally being such an emotional wreck. Seeing her caught Carol off guard, and she failed to pull the trigger long enough to miss a clean shot.

Sally kept twisting in Dwight's grip in need to break free and end the unfinished business with Carol once and for all. But he kept pulling her away, her feet flicked in the air and just before Dwight found them a cover and Sally lost Carol from her poor sight, a sharp pain burst alive in her left hip. Carol finally fired and Sally became Dwight's real life shield.

She sunk into his arms as she looked down at her clothes in the new shade of dark red. If Dwight wanted to get out alive he could no longer afford be burdened by her. Sally's bloody nails dove into Dwight's skin as she scratched him as hard as she could, trying to withhold the pain and his arms finally opened, gladly letting her go.

"Can't exactly say I'm sorry, Sally," he laid her down on the ground. The whole time he was dragging her to the direction of the gate, the only safe way out, still occupied by Saviors and Scavengers, and then he left her halfway.

Dwight disappeared in the cloud of smoke that began to engulf Alexandria in milky fog. It was safe to say Sally had no idea where Negan had gone in the mess, there was no sight of Simon or anyone, except for some casualties of the battle. And there she laid on the ground among the soon to be walking dead.

The smoke was so thick, she could hardly see anything. The scratched side of her face began to swell so much, she couldn't open her eye at all.

The gunfire was not ceasing. Alexandria was still fighting back except now with their new reinforcement they actually had a chance against Negan.

Negan. The last time Sally saw him, he tried to kill Carl and then ripped her face apart. The latter by accident. She had a bad habit of being at the wrong place at even worse time. Just like at that very moment, she was lying on the ground, bleeding to death.

Someone was coming her way. The figure slowly materialized from the smoke, it was limping and its hoarse voice actually made no articulate sounds. The dead began to rise.