PART 32

Negan could hardly identify how many days had passed since he gained his consciousness. He had been falling in and out of sleep and he had no idea how long he was out. Could've been minutes, hours, days. He only knew he was getting better because his appetite was back.

Xavier was coming to him and tirelessly kept checking his wounds and vitals. Nico and Dottie showed at the side of his bed as well but none of them would give up anything that was not necessarily regarding his immediate being. Only Xavier was trying to talk some sense into him when it came to Sally, but Negan was not really sure he wanted to see her.

Regardless of his wishes, one of these days, he woke up and found her sitting on the sofa to his left side. She was not moving, he was not even sure she was breathing, but her eyes were glued to him.

He looked her over. She was not the same as before. Her hair were no longer reaching her waist, it gently brushed her collar bones. Her features always softened when she was with him, but not this time. Not anymore.

Her face was relentless, almost heartless. It was like looking into a broken mirror. She was put together but the fallout was maniacal. The newborn scars on her right side were the proof somebody sawed the wrong person inside.

He had to avert his gaze. No matter the circumstances... He did that to her.

"Where am I?" He cleared his throat.

"You're at my home, now," Sally said as a matter of fact.

"You brought me here."

"Yes," she nodded.

Negan kept looking up on the wooden ceiling. He was at a big disadvantage. He was hurt and in a strange place. Pushing Sally into the corner was not an option. There was no cell, no iron... This was her queendom, she had him at her mercy and he was not used to be in that position.

Negan mulled her words around in his head. He needed to figure out a way how to triumph, but his thoughts didn't stay uninterrupted for long. The empty space between them screamed for the silent treatment to end. The wooden logs sighed heavily.

"Jesus," Negan blew up, "what is this place, anyway? Can't get a good night sleep here, it won't stop creaking." He lost count how many times the high stressed material yanked him from his slumber.

"We're in a treehouse," Sally let him know.

"What the hell?" He grabbed the bedsheets as if trying to stop himself from free falling.

"It's a walker free environment," Sally shrugged.

He noticed how at ease she was with the whole situation. He never saw her that idle at his place. It gave him a sense of safety, however brief.

"There's never a dull moment with you, that's for sure." He sunk back into the pillows. But he knew the truce was short-lived.

"So what's my sentence?" He asked. "Are you taking some sick revenge on me? Got some sweet deal with Rick?"

"There's no deal. I had left Rick's group, then I ended up here. In fact, right now, I'm the only thing keeping you alive. They don't want you here."

"Even the headache guy? My heart's broken, he seemed so caring."

Sally almost smiled. Sarcasm always got her. It let on more than intended. "He just needs glasses," she defended Xavier. "We didn't come across any, recently."

"I thought you could have anything you wanted," Negan kept on mocking.

"Oh, Negan," Sally smirked,"your crown is shining, but your halo is rusty."