PART 29

The wrap around porch of a massive wooden tree house Nico was pacing earlier to get to Xavier was just a small part of entangled tree house settlement. The housings were all interconnected by a jungle of rope bridges creating a port in a storm, up in the air for the tree house community.

The only way to get up or back down was by a removable cords or rope ladders suspended from above and pulled back up right after the climb. Such entrance granted corpse free stomping ground.

The only danger still, even in the new world order, came from other humans and therefore there were constant patrols on the furthest points of the houses and some roaming the woods at what they considered their border.

The house Xavier was staying in was build in the oldest strongest tree. It was the biggest residence of the colony and in the time of emergency could take in all the people. It was their diner, their infirmary, their armory, their town hall, their inn, all in one tree under one roof.

Sally used to live in the fort, too. Her room was still there but now that she was not alone anymore it was not big enough. They moved her and her new companion to the tree house they finished just recently. Their floating village expanded and each new tree house was called a branch, which was a joke Xavier's dad often made and it stuck.

Nico hurried through the maze floating in the air. He was aware of the people changing shifts on the porches, he heard them greet him, welcome him back as he was passing them by. So very unlike himself, he overlooked them in the search of his true north. There was only one wire he was pursuing.

He didn't have to turn around to see Xavier apologetically pressing his lips into a thin line following in his footsteps. It was no hard task for Xavier's lengthy legs to keep up with Nico, but just as they crossed the last swinging bridge and landed on the steady porch of the newest tree house, Xavier brought Nico to a halt.

"I think it would be the best if I go in first," he said, getting ahead of him.

"Yeah, forget about that, Xav." Nico made another step but Xavier stood tall like a wall. His hand grabbed Nico's shoulder, nailing him in place. His other hand was grasping a backpack filled with essential medical supplies.

"No, Nico, you don't understand. It's not just about her being ready, it's about you, too. It gives you few seconds to adjust, trust me." Xavier's voice had so many layers of saturation it always matched the person and situation. He lured people into safe waters.

Nico shifted uncomfortably, carrying his weight over to his other leg, shaking Xavier's hand off in the process.

"Okay," Nico sensed Xavier's urgency, "but tell her I'm here and then get out of the way."

"Fine," he shrugged, "ready or not..."

Xavier opened the door but proceeded very cautiously, like an animal whisperer, careful not to induce any unwanted reaction. His frame blocked the view long enough for Nico to grow impatient.

He tried to peek over Xavier's shoulder. The room was not that spacious so Xavier cast quite a broad shade on it. The double bed was in the middle of the opposite wall. The injured man laid there motionless, provisional IV was leeched onto his vein but Sally was not in his arms reach.

The starboard gray area that Xavier's body created shadowed the most important accessory in the lifeboat.

"Hey, Sally," Xavier had his gentle tone on, "I'm here to check on your bandages. I brought some company if you don't mind. I'm sure you heard the chopper... Look who's back. "

Xavier stole few seconds for Nico to battle the eye-opener, take in the atmosphere before it hit him right in the face, but nothing could prepare him for the moment when Xavier finally moved out of the way just like he asked him to.