PART 24

Since the moment Negan took Sally from the scene of the crime, she refused to acknowledge anything had ever happened. He took it as some kind of coping mechanism. And it was hard to blame her. His body still ached from the quake his body went through as he was kicking down the door for so long that the material finally gave way and he could get to her. The horror possessing her face was real.

His girl clearly lost it down in the corridors but his voice somehow brought her back. She set her eyes on him and never let him go up to the point when they were back in the bedroom. The locker on the door was broken but he brought the wings together and secured them with an armchair so they held for the night. It took him only few seconds but by that time Sally was already waiting in bed for him to join.

He got what he was thinking about earlier before falling asleep the first time. Sally immediately curled around him, her head rested on his chest. He reached out to turn off the lights so they could get some rest but hesitated.

"Do you want me to leave the lights on?" He lifted his head so he could see her.

"No, please, turn it off so they can never find us." She wrapped around him even tighter. She set the night watch.

"Alright then." Negan was stroking her hair until he fell asleep.

Sally stared into the darkness so long her eyes adjusted and she could see the shadow world around her. Her eyes did not close for a second, she'd been listening to the sound of Negan's heart that was going to beat as long as hers. One was not alive without the other.

In the morning, Sally still didn't let Negan to shift their conversation to the happenings of the last night. All she knew was she couldn't handle the matter objectively and therefore she was no help for him there. But she could definitely apply her potential elsewhere.

"Do you remember how we talked about Rick not working alone?" She asked him over breakfast.

Negan only nodded, trying to sense where she was going with that.

"He's not willingly bringing his loved one into this," Sally continued. "He can't fight you alone, that's for sure. But I think I know who they are allied with."

"Please, do tell," Negan said with big smile plastered on his face. He loved seeing Sally in charge like that. She made him proud.

"Before we met... I came across this... community. They are very particular but... they'll go for the best offer."

"Do whatever it takes. We need an upper hand. Who are they?"

Sally enjoyed being so helpful and she didn't want to let go of that feeling so easily. She let him wait, playing hide and seek, so Negan could search around in his head.

"We need to take out some garbage, don't you think?" She told him after moment of silence with cunning smile.

Negan's face brightened in recognition. His neighbors!

"Grass is always greener... I'll have to take care of the situation at hand here but you... Take whoever you want, just get it done. We need them on our side or out of the game."

Sally nodded. The new found freedom in Negan's trust in her was wind at her back. And she just made it blow in the other direction than suspecting Hilltop. Negan had other concerns already.

"If it takes longer than expected, take shelter, don't risk traveling at night," he said.

She leaned over the table and asked for a kiss. "How sweet. Don't you worry about me."