Damnatio memorae. - Avengers 〰

Words: around 3000

A/N: heavily inspired by Teen Wolf season 6A, so yeah.

🔹🔹🔹🔹

"Well, that was an easy one", Tony sighed as he leaned back in the pilot seat.

"Not for Vis' " Wanda sadly interjected as she stared down at her lover's still form.

"He'll be as good as new", Tony promised, sending her a reassuring smile. "We got nothing that can't be fixed."

"I can't believe we're only scratched", Steve approved and Tony smiled victoriously, "we were lucky the base exploded once we were in the jet."

"Don't know if it was luck", Clint spoke from the co-pilot seat, "but we can be glad to be alive."

The whole team nodded except Natasha, who was slightly frowning.

"What's with the long face Nat?" Clint inquired loudly enough to catch everyone's attention.

Natasha glared at him before giving her answer.
"Who was the girl through the com?"

"The one who talked to us?", Sam asked and the red-head nodded, "probably a HYDRA agent who hacked our system."

"But she talked to us as old friends..."

"Look Nat", Clint got up from his seat and came to Natasha, "she was a HYDRA agent, nothing else. Stop thinking about her."

Natasha finally stopped talking about it, but as the jet was flying above the ocean, one thing was on everyone's mind.

Don't forget me. Please, please... Don't forget me.

The woman's last words.

🔸️🔸️🔸️🔸️

The plane finally landed after a three-hour flight, one that didn't really let the heroes rest because of the turbulence encountered on the way. Never had they be so thankful to be back in the tower before.

Gradually, each member of the team get out of the plane, some running straight to their bedroom while others, drained of any strength, had a hard time even making it inside the tower. It took them all their willpower to not drop in the main area as soon as they walked past it.

Bucky and Steve, the more alert of the group, were the last to stepped out of the Quinjet, after making sure no one had forgotten something important behind. The two best friends walked side by side to their respective bedroom that happened to be right next to each other.

Their walk, although short, seemed to be everlasting as none of them talked, too engrossed in their own thoughts to be bothered to make a semblance of conversation.

"I didn't remember this corridor to be so long", Bucky suddenly commented, breaking the peaceful silence.

Steve raised his head and looked at the walls. His best friend was right, the corridor wasn't that long before. Or maybe it was because he never actually paid any attention to it.

"Must be the first time I notice this", Steve shrugged.

Bucky mindlessly nodded and stopped in the middle of the corridor before turning towards the wall. He knew something was off, he could feel it in the pit of his stomach. Might it be the corridor, the mission or that HYDRA agent they heard right before the explosion- he didn't know, but something was wrong.

Still deep in thoughts, the brunet raised his hand ready to knock on the plastered material for some unknown reason. However, Steve interrupted him just one second before he did it.
"Bucky... What are you doing?"