Chapter 6: cornered

Draco

"What the hell is wrong with her?" Was the first thing that big brother Kyle spat after I had phoned him to let him know about the situation at hand and he came here. I made him come for him to witness what was happening to the girl--to her sister that she had pushed for far too long.

I hopelessly sighed, combing my hair back in frustration as I stared at my sister who hugged her knees, rocking herself back and forth, her eyes wide with fear yet unfocused as he unconsciously scratched her arms which was already a bright red and I tried to take a step forward in worry but she only gave a frightened whimper, pushing herself against the wall more and I was forced to stop.

"A fvcking panick attack? I don't know." I growled out in frustration, the on lookers still watching around and I was near my boiling point. Standing around like fools, these bastards were the ones who drove her to the wall.

"Hazel." I breathed, trying to catch her eyes but she was like a frightened child, tears spilling down her face, her small frame shaking with fright. She looked so broken. So shattered. So vulnerable.

"I didn't do it. I swear I didn't do it." She cried softly to herself and I bit the inner of my cheeks, my hands balling into fists in desperation.

Big brother Kyle was just standing at the side, warily watching our sister and I had the urge to punch him. He was one of them. One of those who had hurt her. But this wasn't the time. I had to make Hazel calm down before I settle things with him. I had to make sure that she returns to her usual self.

But then... Why? Why did she hide this from me? Whenever we meet, she would smile so brightly, tell me stories about how great her school was and how happy she was, spending time with her friends as if nothing was wrong.

And yet it was all a lie... She lied to me, she kept things to herself. She hid everything that was happening to her here.

If this was how they were treating her everyday in this God forsaken place... And our house was supposed to be her home yet her own personal hell...

Why had I failed to see all of that?...why hadn't I seen her pain after all those years?

"Hazel. Please." I pleaded, my throat squeezing painfully but she only shook her head, cries coming out from her mouth.

"I didn't kill them. I never killed them... I never did. I am not a murderer..."

"Hazel please come---"

"And yet all of you said I did... Y-you... All of you..." Pain and anger flashed in her eyes and my heart constricted in pain as she slowly stood up, a questioning look in her eyes.

Questioning all of us... Why?

"Hazel!" I shouted when she suddenly turned around and ran away, pushing everyone out of her way and I quickly followed, my brother after me as we dashed through the hallways, following my sister who was pushing through the crowds.

Blood pounded in my ears as I cussed under my breath, feeling utterly frightened of what she might do, not knowing what to do.

"Hazel! Hazel! Come back here!" I screamed but she wouldn't listen, she kept on running, everyone else around bewildered at the chase.

We kept running and running until such time that we had lost her and I panted, angrily punching the wall as my eyes darted on all directions, searching for where she might be but I couldn't see her.

"Fvck. Let's split." I heard Big brother Kyle say before he blended in with the crowds of students, running to one direction and I stood up, gritting my teeth.

"Damn it!" I shouted, sprinting off into the direction opposite of what my older brother took, praying that nothing bad would ever happen to my sister nor would she ever dare try something foolish or I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

I cursed, pushing myself harder and running faster, grabbing anyone who looked similar to my sister, not bothering to apologize before I continue running again, searching for my sister in this maze like school.

I didn't care if my shirt clung to my body already with sweat, my whole body soaked in my own sweat due to non-stop running.

All I knew was that I had to find my sister. That I have to find her and make sure she's safe.

The seconds ticked by, minutes that felt like hours proceeded and I continued running until screams rang in the air and I stopped dead in my tracks, my whole body feeling cold.

I instantly turned around and ran from where the direction was coming from, running towards the soccer field and blood pounded in my ears when I saw a large crowd gathered outside, looking at something or someone beyond the sea of people.

"Draco!" Big brother Kyle reappeared by my side and just like me, he was drenched in his own sweat and we both ran forward, pushing through the sea of students, shouting for them to get out of our way until we were finally at the front and I sucked in a deep breath, my eyes widening, rooted to the ground and in that moment, my heart stopped as I looked forward at the very person pressing herself against the wall.

"Hazel?"