THG: Plot Twist #4

Plot Twist #4

Gale visited Katniss's house once. When he opened the door, a little girl answered. The girl had Katniss's brown hair and Peeta's blue eyes. The smell of bread and cookies floated out.

"Hello." the girl said in her young, fragile voice. "Daddy, somebody is at the door!" the girl called.

Daddy.

It was clear now, who Katniss had chosen. Tears sprung into Gale's eyes as he shook his head in dismay at the little girl before him. Gale turned and started running.

The next day, Gale was on the news. Peeta called Katniss in to see, a look of despair and shock was swept across his face. "Katniss." the boy with the bread croaked warily.

Katniss soon came in, smiling before she laid her eyes on the TV. But as her eyes shifted to the TV, Katniss let out a horrifying scream.

Gale was on the screen, hanging from a tree. A note was folded at the bottom of the tree. The note was addressed to Katniss.

The letter arrived at their hours later. Katniss read it as tears pricked her eyes. Her best friend. Gone. Dead.

The note was fairly short.

Katniss,
I finally know who you chose. That doesn't mean I still cannot bear seeing you with him. I don't do this to hurt you, but to put me out of pain. Katniss. I love you. Are you coming the the tree?
Gale

"Are you coming to the tree?" Katniss whispered to herself, barley audible. "I'm sorry Gale, but I can't come to the tree."