THG: Plot Twist #16

Plot Twist #16

Effie Trinket's eyes widened with horror as she unfolded the little scrap of paper and read the name. No. It couldn't be. The love of her life could NOT go back into The Hunger Games. She took a deep breath and slowly read out the name on the card. The name nobody was expecting.

"Peeta Mellark."

Almost immediately, Haymitch Abernathy shouted "I volunteer."

Effie's heart contracted. Haymitch. The man almost always drunk had grown on her a lot since the 74th games. Katniss and Peeta had changed him. More sober than usual and caring. Much more caring. He used to do nothing, just sit around and watch the other helpless victors fail. But Katniss gave Panem hope. She gave Haymich hope. He loved Katniss, not in a disgusting, perverted way, but a fatherly way. He felt responsible for her. All the more reason to love him. But Effie knew. Haymitch would try and protect Katniss at all costs. The rebellion depended on her. The rebellion depended on Haymitch keeping Katniss safe.

Blinking tears back, she shouted her usual line. Her voice cracked on every word. "Well that's wonderful," then she led them all out with Peeta Mellark as the first mentor in 24 years.
-----------
The games were different that year. Haymitch was in control, he had connections with the other tributes and wasn't going to let Katniss off on her own. The rebellion had to happen, he would die for it. By the end of training, he and Katniss already had over half of the tributes as allies.
------------
"I guess this is goodbye . . . not forever," Peeta said, "just for now." He held back a quiet sob as he pulled Katniss into an embrace. "Remember, don't piss off the other tributes too much," he chuckled behind silent tears. "I'll be waiting for you when you get out. Okay?"

"Okay."

"I love you."
-------------
Almost half of their allies died against the careers and the remaining tributes during the blood bath. And by the time they got to the beach days later, more had died and not to mention they were covered in blood.

About a week after they got to occupying the beach, Katniss went to get some water, walking as quietly as she could so she wouldn't wake the others. However, what she didn't know was that all the others were already awake and discussing how they would get out of the arena and what would become of the rebellion. As she crept closer to the trees she heard hushed voices that spoke the names of people she didn't know. President Coin? She wondered. Had snow been replaced?Was Panem's government finally collapsing? All these questions running through her mind until a some familiar names made her stop dead in her tracks.

Prim.

Gale.

Peeta.

She burst out of her spot and revealed herself to the tributes. Their heads simultaneously snapped up to look at her. The looks on their faces all varied from regret, to pity, to confusion, to panic, to anger. Haymitch was the first to speak.

"Katniss."

It was just one word. A name. But it has filled with so many emotions and it was so heartbreaking that Katniss knew what it meant.

I'm sorry.

Somehow this calmed her. She sat down, ready for an explanation. All through the night, everything was explained with Katniss having only three or four breakdowns. Finally, she agreed. It was no longer something she couldn't choose. She, by choice, was The Mockingjay.
---------
It was only Beetee, Haymitch, Finnick, Johanna, Brutus, Enobaria, and Katniss left. Haymitch went with Katniss to roll Beetee's wire to the water when suddenly the wire snapped and they were both aware that they were exposed. They circled around the area when a spear flashed out in front of them and somehow only one was still standing.

"Katniss," Haymitch croaked as he clutched the spear that pierced him, "remember who the real enemy is. Tell Peeta that. . . And Effie. Tell Effie I . . ." He never got to finish.

Katniss wept as she walked back to the tree helplessly. When she got to the tree Finnick and Beetee were lying unconscious while Johanna desperately tried to help.

"Where's Haymitch?" Johanna asked

"Gone."

***A/N***

I haven't updated in like 3 months because I've been writing other stuff on a different account. I can't believe I'm up to 3.3K reads and that for me is amazing. I made this one longer because I haven't been on in so long. But thank you for getting this story here and please keep reading. Keep voting and commenting and promote me. *wink, wink* but anyways thank you and I'm always open to suggestions and everything. Hope you enjoy and sorry for literally never updating I'll try harder and there's some other stories on their way.

The Hunger Games: Plot Twistsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें