THG: Plot Twist #18

"Finnick," the name soundlessly escaped Katniss's lips. She slowly closed her eyes, letting a tear roll down her cheek as she thought about Finnick. And then the realization struck her-she was going to lose everyone.

President Snow had already made sure Katniss had lost a fair amount of people, but now, now he meant war. It was his time, his chance to kill everyone she loved, including Peeta. Peeta who probably would never be the same again. Peeta who Snow has probably tortured. Peeta whose mind has been tampered with. Peeta who is now programmed to kill.

She couldn't even bring herself to speak his name, everything she said came out in a faint whisper, as if she was scared that if a name was said out loud, it meant they were next on the kill list.

"I love you, I love you, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," the whispers turned to sobs, everyone was gone.

Katniss was completely and utterly alone.
The only person left was Peeta, who was broken beyond repair. She closed her eyes and opened the door to where Peeta was being kept in.

Slow.

She had to go slow.

The room was brightly lit.

Empty.

She couldn't seem to remember a time when it wasn't empty, everyone had went to war, but the Mockingjay was just "too precious" and had to stay. Katniss cursed silently, she was the face of the rebellion, she should be there to fight, not cower in lonely safety.

Silence. Only her footsteps.

Peeta. He was there. In. Out. Breathing ever so slowly. Eyes shut.

She knelt beside him, wishing he would wake up. Praying to God that she would see his face alive again before . . . before she died.
"Wake up."

Her words seemed to bring him to life, a cruel smile formed on his bruised lips. He sprang up, curling his fingers around Katniss's injured neck.

Eyes open.

She had to see him.

One last breath, she told herself. She had to tell him.

One last time.

"I love you," she croaked out.

His face changed.

Anger.

Confusion.

Horror.

"Katniss?"

***A/N***
Sooooo.... It's been a while, I'm still not sure if I should keep doing these but if I'm not, here's a build up to Mockingjay special lol. So yeah I sorta pulled a divergent on you ;) if you get the reference. Sooooo, baiii. I've been reading a lot of Narry FanFiction lately and I've had a hella lotta homework so thank you!

xx