THG: Plot Twist #8

Plot Twist #8

"Peeta! Peeta I'm sorry I just... I don't know," Katniss called desperately after Peeta.

Peeta only turned to Katniss and softly shook his head. Then he walked away, his footsteps light and fading as he turned the corner.

"Katniss," Gale started, but it was too late. Katniss had already started running after the sorrowful looking Peeta.

Huffing and out of breath Katniss saw Peeta ahead of him.

"PEETA?!??! STOP, PLEASE!!!!" Katniss yelled after him as she ran.

She wished she had never of said that. She didn't know that Peeta was there. She hated seeing Peeta sad and upset. Why why why? She just had to say things like that. It didn't help that she was with Gale either. Katniss, although she loved Peeta, loved Gale a different way. Peeta was a friend, one she would die without. Gale was a lover, also someone she could never live without. She could never lose either of them or else she might loose herself.

Finally she caught up to Peeta. "Peeta," she whispered softly as she turned him around. "Wait."

But Peeta was already half gone. His eyes were glassy and he never looked Katniss in the eye. A tear fell down his smooth cheek. He shook his head again.

"Katniss," he said. "I love you, but I can't. You love Gale. I can't bear to see you with him. I just want to make you happy. You even told him you were happy I was gone. You said it was easier. I can't live around you knowing that I just stress you out. I'm going to make this easy for you. Goodbye Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire. I love you. And remember, a death by nightlock is painless. You don't need me though. You have Gale. He needs you, nobody needs me."

And then he was gone. Peeta Mellark, the boy with the bread was gone. Peeta had just collapsed on the ground after he swallowed the nightlock. Why did she ever say those terrible things? She thought Peeta was gone. And she was happy. But now Peeta really was gone. Dead right before her very eyes.

Katniss cried. Her knees buckled and she slid to the ground. Peeta was gone. A part of Katniss was gone. "I do," Katniss whispered to him as she squeezed Peeta's limp, lifeless hand. "I need you."