THG: Plot Twist #9

Plot Twist #9

"Peeta," the word escaped Prim's mouth as he was called on stage. No no no! She thought. Prim knew Peeta loved Katniss. And now they were going in the games together. Why? Prim asked herself. Couldn't her sister just be selfish for once in her life and not have volunteered. Now the boy she loved was going to die with his hands intertwined with her sisters. Prim was furious and heartbroken. She loved Peeta. She always had ever since she went to the bakery with her father when she was younger. Her and Peeta became close friends. They told each other secrets.

Peeta's secret. He was in love with Katniss Everdeen. Prim's sister.

Prim wasn't surprised though. Almost all the guys, ages ranging from 12-19 years old wanted Katniss. Of course Katniss didn't know because the boys had never told her. But Katniss was brave, strong, and beautiful. Who wouldn't want her? They all thought she had a thing for Gale anyway.

Prim knew though. Katniss had always had a soft spot for Peeta. After all, he saved my life, our mother's life, and her life by giving her that bread. And Peeta was so sweet and had that smile that could melt you if you just glanced at him. For some reason he wasn't popular at school though. Peeta Mellark was like the hidden gem of district 12. The hidden gem of Panem even. But now he wasn't hidden. He never would be again.

__________________________

By the time the games ended, Prim was overflowing with jealousy. Katniss and Peeta came back to district 12 madly in love. They didn't go anywhere without each other. That should be me, Prim always thought. I'm the one who's been in love with you the whole time.

She wanted to rip Katniss to pieces every time she saw them together. She knew she would never do that though. She loved Katniss. She was her sister after all.

But when Katniss and Peeta announced they were getting married and that Katniss was pregnant, Prim lost it. A rage so strong filled her heart. That night she snuck into Katniss and Peeta's house and murdered Katniss. She made sure it was painless though. She forced some nightlock down her throat.

When Peeta awoke he was devastated. He didn't know who would ever do that. That was until he found a long strand of blond hair on Katniss's chest. That could only belong to Prim. Peeta confronted her. Cried while at it too. Peeta didn't know why. As he turned to leave Prim he told her that he couldn't bear look at her anymore.

Prim was shocked and heartbroken. She never found another person to love. That, she blamed Peeta for. But in her heart, Prim knew. Prim knew Peeta had not broken her heart. Prim had broken her own heart.