Chapter 2. Table for Two and "Vibes"

...........

.........

The Wednesday dinner specials were on the board.  The waitress pointed at the chalkboard just inside the door.  Aim looked and ordered two of the spicy grilled chicken,  two steamed rice and one papaya salad.  "We can split the salad right?"  Arthit nodded in agreement.  "Oh,  and a side dish of hot peppers too please,  my friend likes it spicy."  Aim smiled at the waitress and handed back the menus that he didn't even use.   

While they waited the waitress brought their drinks. Arthit had a tall cold glass of pinkmilk and Aim ordered an iced coffee.  The waitress flashed Arthit a strange smile as she walked away.  He looked at Aim and waited for a comment that never came.  Pleased to see that at least Aim didn't require daily doses of Arthit's cherry red cheeks to survive.  

The food came and, since they were both hungry they started right away.   After spooning copious amounts on his own,  Arthit asked:  "Would you like some hot peppers on yours too?"

"Sure."  There was a little uncertainty in his voice.

Arthit spooned the peppers on Aim's grilled chicken.  "Ah,  whoa,  that's enough."  He was using his hand signalling him to stop. 

"Ahem,  ah."  Aim choked a little on his first bite.  

Arthit smiled and continued to enjoy his meal.  

Grabbing his ice coffee, Aim drew a mouthful through the straw.  It didn't seem to cool things for him, as his face was turning red and he seemed to be searching for something.  

Holding back a chuckle,  Arthit slid his pinkmilk over.  He pushed it slowly with two fingers at the bottom of the glass.  

Aim was Taking a mouthful of the cold pink drink through the straw and swallowing hard.  His face took on a different look,  relief.  "It's working."  The burning subsided quickly.  

"Thanks P'.  So this is your trick.  That's why you can eat all this spicy food.  You have the remedy right here in front of you."  

Arthit raised his brows up and down.  "My mother,  I learned it from my mother."

They chatted away during their meal.  Arthit knew now why Kongpop and Aim were friends.  Aim's a great guy,  funny,  and he can be adorably awkward and shy. If he were honest with himself,  he'd admit that Aim was cute as hell.  

They finished eating,   Arthit treated this time,  paying the bill.  

"So Kongpop won't be done for a couple of hours right?  Should we see a movie?  May will be late tonight too,  she volunteered for something again. I can't keep track."  

Aim half giggled and yet Arthit could see he was feeling sad about it.  

Arthit asked in a quiet voice.  Partially because he wouldn't want to embarrass Aim and because he knew that Kong was really close to Aim.  He was thinking...  "If he really did have a serious problem,  surely he would talk to Kong before me."