Chapter, 15, Decisions and Mud

The look on his face as he crossed the space was not one they were familiar with.  Dat and Mali both sat and watched as he hurried toward them.  He was scratching his head and shaking it back and forth,  he even looked like he was talking to himself as he came closer.  

Mali used her foot and shoved the chair out for him as he reached the table.  The legs of it scratched and grated on the concrete floor of the covered outdoor eating area.  A stiff breeze was blowing through and when he set his folder down on the table it flipped over,  he caught it just before the loose sheets of paper were blown away.  "Oh god! What a day."

Dat had already ordered his drink and moved it closer to him.  As he caught his breath he sipped on the straw,  his eyes were wandering between the two girls as they anxiously waited for him to explain what he meant.

Nothing Tat could say would shock them,  around them he was the real Tat,  funny and sometimes lewd.  They'd heard it all,  but,  today his look was something new.  "You guys have to promise me that you'll never tell anyone this."  He was looking serious as he glanced over them.  They nodded that,  "yes,"  they would keep it to themselves.

He started,  "I was going to help P'Knot like I do every day after his last class."  He was still breathing hard. "And I heard something that I wasn't supposed to."  His eyes were wide and he looked guilty as he went further.  "I was late so I just cut through the back way and entered from the door between the theatres,  you know the one,  when you come through there is a wall of cubicles there?"  He wasn't really questioning,  he knew,  they knew.

"Well,  when I came through,  before I could get past the desks,  I heard P'Kongpop and P'Knot talking and, this was really private stuff.   Oy!,  I froze.  I didn't want them to know I even heard what little I had,  but, as they talked,  I just couldn't help myself,  I didn't leave, I listened."

..............

.............

He covered his face with his hands,  "I'm terrible I know,  you don't have to say it."

Hearing all this was great,  but he hadn't said anything that let them in on the news so, they were both leaning in and listening intently,  hoping he'd go on.

Dat used her eyes  and lifted brows to suggest that he finish what he was saying,  

"And!?"

"Oh, jeez,  I can't tell you,  it's  really personal stuff of P'Knot's."

"What!?"  They were both pissed.  "You can't come in here and dump that kinda stuff on us and not tell us,  get on with it."  The eagerness was apparent in their voices.

"Ah,  you guys know that I think P'Knot is the most handsome man in the whole school right?"

"Huh?,  you said P'Arthit was the most beautiful man you'd ever seen before and you said the same thing about P'Kong."