Chapter 4. Sweet Dreams and Wilted Flowers

..........

............

Standing outside Arthit's apartment door,  none of his calls were going through.  It's Arthit now who had shut his phone off.  

"I deserve this.  I've pushed Arthit too far.  If I've lost him I have no one to blame but myself."  Kongpop was feeling a bit sick to his stomach thinking about it.   Pressing his ear to the door,  there was no sound coming from the apartment.  

With the key in his shaking hand,  Kong was unsure if he should open the door and go in.  It's Arthit's place and even though he referred to it as home,  meaning Kong's home too,  in some ways he felt like he was an uninvited intruder.  

Giving in,  he turned the key and pushed the door open.  Except for the fan of the air conditioner the apartment was silent.  Nothing seemed moved.  There was a crumpled note laying in the centre of the floor and when he made his way to the bedroom he could see where Arthit flipped the sheet back in the morning when he awoke alone.  

Tears ran down his cheeks when he saw the two gears,  Arthit had tied the strings together,  they hung on the knob of the bedside table,  on Arthit's side.

..............

.................

Kongpop opened the closet door,  sure enough, the small travel bag that sat on the top shelf was gone and he could see that Arthit took several shirts from their hangers.  His toothbrush is gone too and his slippers were left where he'd stepped out of them.   

Walking back,  Kong entered the kitchen.  It was spotless like it was when he came for dinner the day before.  The unfinished bottle of wine was on the counter.  The flowers in the vase,  were now wilted.  Ridden with guilt,  he saw himself,  not thanking  Arthit for any of it.  

"God, why did I do this.  Why didn't I just look around and see all the effort he had put out for me and appreciate it?  I should have hugged and kissed him and told him I loved him.  I should have thanked him."