Chapter 8, Bus Rides and Bonfires

..........

..........

The hazing team greeted all the Juniors as they boarded the buses.  They bristled with excitement and, for the younger students there was a sense of mystery as well,  they weren't really told what would be happening on the trip.  

There was gossip and speculation of course,  but the general feeling was that it would be fun and a great way to relax after the long weeks of hazing.  

There were also rumours that the handsome head hazer had chosen a very different way to conduct this year's hazing.  From what was said,  in years past,  it had been much harsher and the approach very unlike this year.  

P'Kongpop was a firm personality,  but fair and likeable.  Overall he proved an excellent leader and was able to unite the juniors solidly,  his ideas and creative methods of bonding,  were very successful.  There wasn't a single student who didn't like him,  in fact,  there were many who "more" than liked him.  His impressive and always flawless appearance,  was an example to follow.  Many of the junior boys were striving to emulate him.  Making sure their shirts were perfectly white,  tie pressed and straight.  Their shoes were shiny and they spent hours grooming their hair,  trying to get it "just right." The way P'Kong's always seemed to be.

For many of the Juniors,  this would only be the second or third time seeing the graduated Hazing team. They had attended one of the meetings at the very beginning of the year and introduced P'Kong and his current hazers.  The more Senior Hazers looked very firm and their instructions to the juniors were to follow all the rules set by Kong and his team,  they sounded almost threatening.  The former Head Hazer Arthit was indeed a formidable character and his face in no way showed the same kind of gentleness that P'Kong's did.

After that initial meeting,  there were many discussions among the juniors regarding how lucky they were to not have had Arthit and his team.  They had seen Arthit around the school seldom but,  when he was,  it was with P'Kong,  most assumed it was because Kong was seeking advice or some other hazing-related issues.  

They all, of course,  knew P'Knot,  although he was a student teacher and a very nice one too,  when he was wearing that red jacket he was capable of looking very harsh as well.  There was just something about those jackets that made people look tough.

On the morning of their departure,  all that was forgotten when they saw these same people looking comfortable and wearing their beach clothes.  Knot and Aim with cool shades and party shirts.  Kong's fellow hazer Wad,  sporting a strange straw hat and even Arthit,  wearing a colourful flowered Hawaii style shirt and shorts.  Many of the Juniors were happy to see that Arthit was capable of a smile and,  he seemed completely different away from the school and out of the scary jacket.

P'Kong always had the attention of the students but,  in his relaxed clothing,  he was a sight to behold.  His tall, slim figure was draped with a beautiful delicate linen shirt.  Baby blue,  with camel coloured trim and buttons,  his shorts were the darker colour.  The fabric so light that even the slightest breeze made it move and, the colours suited him in every way.  Many of the girls and more than one of the boys commented as they watched P'Kong and P'Arthit board the bus,  they were the last two to seat themselves.  All the other seniors had taken seats at the back of the bus.  P'Knot and P'Wad were back there too,  P'Aim was with P'Dear,  they all sat together as the bus pulled away and the trip was officially beginning.