Chapter 19, Dinner Guests and Sneezes

Months and months of reading and he finally set the last of the manuals on his desk. "Oy!"  Arthit's brain felt mushy and congested with the countless volumes and,  all the computer training he'd received.  

He was thankful for all of Kongpop's advice when it came to hiring.  His tips on the subject made what was a confusing and complicated issue much simpler.  There were so many people,  so many applications,  it had been like a  marathon finding the right staff and filling all the various positions.  From office workers and administrative staff all the way to the workers on the floor of the factory where the equipment was being manufactured.

The department was up and running and the results were already pouring in.  Sales of the equipment were up,  the new designs and lighter parts were a huge boost to business and,  more than once,  the President of the Thailand branch of the company made his way to Arthit's office for no other reason but to shake his hand and congratulate him on the success of the new division.

More times than he could count,   Arthit thanked David,  his help and patients when it came to training him on the computer,  proved him a saint.  Beyond that,  David was exemplary in every way.  His work ethic was faultless and his knowledge complete.  Kong liked him too,  whenever he came to see Arthit,  David was so polite and seemed to have such respect and regard for him and Arthit as a couple.  Kong credited him with making P'Arthit's job straightforward,  and the pair managed to work together as efficiently as one of the machines they were building.

The Canadian president would be visiting soon as well,  Arthit was anxious to meet the man who had put Prem in the position.  He had high hopes that he would be impressed.  David assured Arthit that he would.  He himself was excited,  he considered the Canadian executive a friend and a small taste of home.  David joked.  "He promised to bring me some maple syrup."

.......................

Having guests at their home had become quite a regular thing for Arthit and Kong. Wad, Knot and Tat had all been invited, separately. Aim, May and Praepalin had been invited too.

David came once by himself for dinner too and, over the course of the evening, they learned that David had a partner of his own. Arthit was surprised. "Nong, you've never mentioned that." David smiled, "I'm not embarrassed or anything P', but I kind of keep my private stuff to myself, the last thing I need is Jira hating on me."  Arthit and Kong looked at each other, Arthit had filled him in on Jira's attitude months back.

"Why didn't you bring him here tonight with you? We would love to meet him." Arthit went on and insisted that they would "Do dinner" again and "Next time you have to bring him."

The story was that David attended school in Thailand when his father, a military man, was stationed in the east. He met his boyfriend in his first year of University, he was a senior and three years older than David. Then, his father was sent back to Canada and David had no choice but to return. The short version, he got the job, worked with Prem and kept in touch with his boyfriend, long distance, online. David's smile was brilliant. "That's why when P'Prem was being sent back to Thailand I was so thrilled when he told the President that he was taking me with him, Prem knew about my partner and couldn't stand the idea of us being so far apart."

His eyes were wet as he spoke. "You can see now why I was so dedicated to P'Prem, he was so good to me."

For the very first time, David was going to ask. "P'Arthit," there was a hesitancy in his voice as he posed his question. "Do you know why P'Prem never showed up for the job?"

Arthit was a little stunned, "Oh David, you don't know?"

David shook his head, "No, P', I was sent two weeks before P'Prem, all I know is that he never came to the office."