Prologue

I clumsily slipped inside my closet, desperate to go unseen. I pulled shirts and dresses off hangers, feeling the fabric resist my pull at first but eventually bounce off. I hid myself under a pile of my mother's old clothes that we hadn't put in storage yet. I dared to peek from behind the mess of silks and cotton only to see darkness.

But I could hear his boots. They sounded as impatient as ever, but now they also carried something else far beyond impatience. They carried anger. He had finally reached his boiling point, and I was the one who had brought him there.

Now he was coming for me.

~~~

I laid in the back of the ambulance that showed up right after the police had.

I watched the paramedics buzz around me and focused on the man leaning over me, shining a light into my eyes.

And suddenly it was him. With his black eyes and malicious smile.He raised his hand to strike me and I panicked. I tried to lift my hands to fight him but I couldn't move. I was crying and thrashing but all I could hear was his laughter. The deep vibrating echo that left the cave in the middle of his face. And then I felt his hands around my neck. I couldnt breathe I couldn't cry I couldn't move.

And then everything went black.

~~~

When I woke up I was in a hospital bed with a tube stuck in my arm. I couldn't see through one eye and the worst pain I had ever felt burned through my left side. I tried to move my hand to hold my side but my arms were restrained and I couldn't. I looked around for someone to talk to but no one was in my line of sight except a tall man in uniform with muscles big enough to scare me into not talking.

So I waited.

Until a female nurse with a warm smile came into the room, told me her name was Ruby and asked if I was ready to take off the restraints. I nodded and she did. Then I rubbed my wrists as she sat down next to me. "A young man is going to come by and ask you a few questions, is that alright with you?"

I shook my head fervently and grabbed the white sanitized sheets surrounding me tightly between my fingers. My eyes flitted between the nurse and the security man in the doorway nervously. My breathing was starting to get harder when I felt a hand on my forearm.

It wasn't his hand this time though. It was Ruby's. It was soft and feminine and calmed my breathing. I looked into her eyes and saw kindness and good intentions. "I think I understand whats going on," she said, "How bout I ask for a girl social worker would that change things?"

I nodded and sighed with relief.

The nurse rubbed my arm, smiled and got up. She walked out of the room and was replaced shortly by a woman in a pant/s suit and very tight ponytail. She sat down and shook my hand, "Hi Rae I'm Jackie. How ya doin?"

A/N

~~~

first chap coming soon (probs tonight) /sorry if you were planning on reading my other book "The Hunt" I dont think Im going to update it any time soon... 

Thanks for Reading!