Chapter Two

I heard a knock on the door and my breathing sped up.

Ideas of who could be at the door raced through my head: all kinds of big burly men ready to hurt me flashed through my head.

"Who is it?" I asked gingerly so as not to aggravate whoever was at the door.

"Hi sweetheart its Miriam."

Oh. It was just my uncle's wife.

My heart calmed down and I opened the door for her welcomely.

I had been told that my uncle who's room is right next to mine would be out of town this week but hiss 'lovely wife' Miriam would be home to help me get acquainted with the school and town. I'd never met her but this was probably better since I couldn't stand in the same room a my uncle for five minutes before fleeing.

As soon as I was in her line of sight she grabbed me and pulled me into a bear hug.

"I'm so happy you're here!" She squealed.

"Me too!" I lied  through my teeth.

I was not happy to be there. I would so much rather be at St. Agatha's with the sisters and my fellow girl classmates. But now that I've met Miriam I dont think Im going to be leaving anytime soon.

She gave me one last squeeze and let me go. She looked me up and down and let out a sigh, "aren't you just the cutest thing?"

I blushed and looked down; I wasn't used to compliments.

"I-Thank you," I replied softly.

"So do you think you'll be able to eat dinner in the mess hall tonight?" She asked and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

My eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets, "li-like with everyone?"

Miriam tilted her head, flaring red hair spilled over her shoulder. She looked sad for a moment but quickly disguised it with her chirpy self. "Only a handful of families will be down there tonight since most are out on a hunting trip . And there are some really nice teenagers around your age that I could introduce you to... but then again you wouldn't have to talk to anyone if you didn't want to."

"Um..." I looked down again and thought about what she was saying, "I guess that would be okay."

Miriam actually squealed and hugged me tightly before heading back to the door and telling me, "I'll come back at 5:30 and you can change before if you want."

~~~

As I walked through the cafeteria doors I could hear my heart beating in my ears.

The room looked like it went on forever and was filled with women and men.

Granted the space looked half as packed as it could be like Miriam said it would be

"Not so bad right?" Miriam said over the noise. I nodded and  gave her a weak smile. "Follow me," she said and led me to long buffet set up against the left wall.

My short legs tried their best to keep up with hers but it was hard to follow her graceful stature and the skinny jeans I was wearing were from two years ago and had taken about five minutes to squeeze into so that didn't help.

God I really needed new clothes.

I wasn't hungry but Miriam forced me to pile my plate with carbs and fats that I could never eat all of.

By the time we had gone through the entire line my tray had more food than I had eaten in the whole last week. Miriam then pulled me across the linoleum tiles to an intimidating group of girls and boys that looked around my age. Every one of them looked me up and down. I blushed at the attention and looked at Miriam, pleading with my eyes for her not to make me sit there.

The guys looked especially intimidating compared to other teenagers I had met; all with big broad shoulders and built like bears all above six feet. Not to mention that hungry look was back in their eyes.

One boy caught my eye  more than the others though... The boy from outside earlier that afternoon. The boy with shaggy brown hair and deep ocean eyes that looked like they wanted to swallow me whole.

I shivered.

Miriam then gave me a final push that forced me to walk five steps towards the table.

I was so caught off guard that my brain decided to forget how to make words.

A blonde boy with fiery eyes stood up eagerly and basically shouted, "you can sit next to me!"

I winced at the offer but didn't want to be rude in a new town so I slowly made my way to the seat in between him and the brunette with blue eyes.

I walked around the table and sat down between the two of them. Conversation at the table picked up again but I still caught people looking at me from time to time, trying to figure out the new girl I guess.

"I'm John," said the blonde boy to my left. He held out a hand to shake but I immediately looked away.

I stared down at my tray and didn't let out a breath til I saw his hand retreating.

And then I realized how many men were really around me. At least five. Jesus Christ. I was sitting in the bear's den.

I felt the walls of my chest tighten up and a fire spread through my arms and neck.

But then something calmed me down. A warmth to my right... And a deep oaky smell.

"I'm Jack," it was him. The brunette.

Why was his scent and warmth calming to me?

I looked straight into those ocean blue eyes.

Big mistake.

Confusion washed over me like a wave.

What was this fuzzy feeling in my stomach? In my head? Why couldn't I think straight?

"H-hi," I barely whispered.

His eyes sparkled and a giant grin broke out on his terrifyingly handsome face, "hi."

I turned back to my food and hid my blush with a wall of hair.

Jack POV

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

She was sitting right next to me and she smelled so fucking good.

I couldn't think straight let alone bring up a topic of conversation.

Then I thought about John- the pack fuckboy. How eager he was to offer her a spot next to him, not that it didn't work out for me in the end.

I glanced over at him only to find him staring right at her ass hanging off the bench in those tiny jeans. If I wasn't so mad I might stare a little long myself before mind linking him and telling him to, 'back the hell of because she's not a piece of meat.'

He looked startled when he heard me in his head but obeyed and reluctantly went back to eating his food. I suppressed a frustrated growl and focused on my mates smell instead.

She smelled like tea tree oil and lavender.

I wish my best friend and beta Ron was there so I could tell him all about her but he was on the spring hunting trip with my best hunters.

So far I had told no one. Until it becomes a possible problem or she's less scared of me its not really any of their business.

So I sat there eating my sloppy Joe, smelling my mate with a smile on my face and I was almost content.