chapter twelve

My cheeks felt like they were about to burn off my face as Miriam rattled on about the dangers of sex to me.

"And if you don't, make sure he pulls out!" At this point I closed my eyes and covered my ears, I couldn't stand listening to her any longer. I didn't even know what half of the things she was saying meant!

I groaned and leaned back into the couch, "can we be done now?"

Miriam laughed and stood up, "yeah, yeah we can be done." She held a hand out for me to grab and she helped hoist me up off the couch.

"Thanks," I muttered before grabbing my backpack and throwing Miriam a quick goodbye before heading out the door. I was giddy with excitement as I made my way to Jack's door.

Even though II didn't know what we were I knew there was something almost magical in between us. Something that couldn't be broken, something good and pure.

As I rounded a corner my thoughts were immediately cut off by vicious and brutal yelling followed by a loud punch. I made eye contact with the monster behind the violence and my world fell apart.

I fell back onto the ground and let out a cry before I had the sense to cover my mouth.

"Rae..." When he said my name I held back a sob.

I looked to the boy he had hit, he looked young - no older than me. That could have been me...

The longer I stared at Jack the more similar he looked to him. The years of torment I faced all rushed back in at once as I gaped at a man I thought I knew.

I got up and ran.

How naive I had been, blinded by a web of charm. I thought he was different... I thought he was the one... But men are all the same. That was something I would never let myself forget again.

"Rae!" I could hear Jack calling after me as I made my way to my room. It just made me run faster.

When I couldn't hear Jack any more and I could barely run any farther, I let myself collapse in the hallway. I took off my heavy backpack and curled into a ball, pouring all my emotions into the sobs escaping from my mouth.

I covered my face with my hands and tried to control myself, I was in the middle of a hallway after all.

"Rae."

I must've jumped ten feet out of my skin when /i heard his voice say my name. He was hovering above me with regret in his eyes.

I shrunk down as far as I could to get away from him and shielded my face.

He sighed and sat down in front of me, "Rae," he began again, "if I had known-"

I stood up carefully and grabbed my backpack, using it as a shield between us. I didn't need this apology crap from him. He hurt that defenseless boy and who's to say he wouldn't hurt me the first time I got on his nerves, or said the wrong thing?

Jack stood up after me and reached out for me but I flinched and raised the backpack which made him back off.

"Okay," he said, sounding defeated, "I'll see you at school I guess."

And then he was gone. And I was alone.

A/N

ik its short & I need to step up my game but an updates an update I guess:/

Anyways, thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it, plaese comment your thoughts and vote if you liked it:)

(p.s. thank you guys so much for all the positive feedback and support! ily!)