Chapter 8

Adasyn

"You're killing us!" Rick shouted at the security camera. We had arrived at the CDC, and it seemed like all hope was lost, as I thought it would be. But, Rick swore he saw the security camera move as we all started to turn away. "Let us in, you're killing us!"

Mine, Ashlynn and Daryl's backs were all turned to rest of the group, eyes on all the walkers picking up pace as stumbling to us at their first sight of food in what I'm guessing has been awhile. Shane argued with Rick, trying to get him to turn away and leave, and I propped my gun u below my shoulder, eyes peering through the scope. Anger boiled in me as I watched their rotting bodies close in on us, eyes glowing with hunger. My finger ached as it rested on the trigger. I wanted so badly to squeeze it and pick every one of these assholes off, but I resisted. Noise drew them in, and if there were this many just lying around, who knew how many more would come once the gunfire started.
"Hey," Daryl grunted, eyes on me. "We don't shoot unless we have to."
I ignored him, looking back through the scope. I must not have been masking my anger as much as I thought I was, but still. I wasn't an idiot - I wouldn't shoot on impulse, no matter how badly I wanted to.

I tensed, thinking I was about to get my moment when suddenly a bright light shone through the opening in the large metal doors, causing me to quint, raising my hand over my eyes just to be able to see properly. Rick was right, the camera had moved. Someone had just opened those doors for us, someone was still here.

"Daryl," Shane called out after we were all inside, the door closing back after us. "You and Adasyn cover the back! Ashlynn, man the middle!" She nodded in agreement, rushing up in between a few of our people, gun still raised.

"Hello?" Rick called out.

"Hello," an unfamiliar voice responded. Everyone in the room had their hammers back, and guns aimed as the figure emerged into the room. It was on older man, with white hair and a lab coat on. "Anyone infected?"

"One of ours was," Rick replied, referring to Jim. He had been bitten back in the attack on camp, and when we left for the CDC he had us leave him on the outskirts of town under a tree. He wanted to turn, in hopes he'd find his family again. "He uh- he didn't make it."

"Why are you here?" The man asked , stepping a little bit closer into view. I immediately took notice in the decent sized gun he had of his own, pointed out towards all of us. "What do you want?"

"A chance," Rick answered.

"That's asking an awful lot these days."

"I know."

The man looked over all of us , taking a deep breath and lowering his gun. "You all submit to a blood test , that's the price of admission."

"We can do that," Rick quickly agreed, letting out a heavy sigh of relief and lowering his gun.

"You got stuff to bring in, do it now," the man demanded. "Once the topside doors close, I won't be opening them again."

We all made sure we had what we needed, no trip back out being necessary. Once he knew we were all certain, he nodded and led us through the final door. I got a weird feeling in my stomach as the door closed behind us, dimming the light shinning through. We all stepped immediately into an elevator, a little to crammed for my liking. Rick turned to this new man, and held his hand out to him. "Rick," he announced. "Rick Grimes."

The man looked at all of us hesitantly, before looking back to Rick and clapping his hand against his. "Doctor Edward Jenner." The elevator soon filled with a dreadful silence, and it only seemed to make the air thicker, I started to struggle breathing.